Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection loss during absorption spectroscopy

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    An isotropic solid has a refractive index of 10 at low frequencies. A 10 um thick platelet of this solid with perfectly polished planes shows two absorption bands in optical transmission. These bands, corrected for reflection, have a (negative) Gaussian shape. They occur at frequencies of 3x1012 and 1014 Hz, respectively. The maximum light absorption is 50 and 90% respectively. Calculate the transmission spectrum vs frequency including reflection losses.

I have been stuck on this problem all week. I assumed that the absorption of 50 and 90% is able to be converted to 50 and 10% transmission at the two frequencies respectivley. Then I determined the reflectance using Fresnel's law, (n2-n1)^2/(n2+n1)^2, to be 0.67 and therefore the transmittance to be 0.33. Assuming that only one internal reflection occurs in the platelet I calculated the amount of transmission that came through the platelet was 0.109.

I am stuck on how the thickness plays into the equation and how to use the information I have to determine the reflection losses from the transmissions. I am thinking that the beer-lambert law comes into affect somewhere, I/Io = exp(-ux), and also that I should use the kramers kronig transform, but I am unsure how to do that. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted