Refraction and splitting of a photon

In summary, Snells Law states that light travels in a straight line through a medium with a refractive index. The dispersion of waves occurs when different wavelengths travel at different speeds. The book "QED- the strange theory of light and matter" explains the quantum effects of light and matter.
karen_lorr
I wonder if someone could help with me with this.

I understand Snells Law and I can also work out various refractions in different media by using C.

But “why” does refraction occur.

Every website I look at (inc Wiki) gives the results of refraction (e.g. Snell’) not the reason. They will talk about what happens when light with XYZ refractive Index inter-reacts with another at ABC RI.

But none of them explain “Why”.

I assume that a photon is an elemental particle (not getting into duality here by the way). So if it elemental “how” can it be split/dispersed.

At the interface some wavelengths will pass through the intersection at a certain speed and other wavelengths will pass at others – so you get bending. OK I can understand this “if” the photon could be split, as it meant to be elemental it should really, should it?

I wonder if someone would be kind enough to the offer a clear and simple explain of “why” refraction occurs (not the results of it).

What is actually happening?

Or is there a website that would give this and do you have a link.

Thank you

Science news on Phys.org
hi karen! :smile:

"why" depends on the level of detail you want

the simplest "why" is that light follows the quickest possible path, and you can easily prove that that means it must follow snell's law at any boundary

the most complicated "why" involves considering the quantum effects of each individual molecule

in between, we can assume that media are continuous … then the quantum effects boil down to the all-possible-paths approach, which in turn (feynman's description of this is best) favours the quickest possible path :wink:

He needs the quantum version because of:
At the interface some wavelengths will pass through the intersection at a certain speed and other wavelengths will pass at others – so you get bending. OK I can understand this “if” the photon could be split, as it meant to be elemental it should really, should it?
... which means go watch the feynman lectures on youtube.

The descripton of reflection is easier to follow but refraction works the same way.
The photon don't need to be split at all - some go one way and some go another way and when they all add up at some detector the brightest bit is what's predicted by Snell's law. Some photons travel the other ways as well which can be demonstrated by carefully blocking off some of the material.

With mirrors it's dramatic - you can get a stronger refection by removing most of the mirror (but only for one colour).

What is difference b/w unpolarized light and depolarized light?

zafar said:
What is difference b/w unpolarized light and depolarized light?

Nothing, really, in this instance. The sums work for radio waves, which are, very often plane polarised. Birefringence makes things more complicated but that's the next level up, I think.

The explanation really does depend on the level you are interested in !
You do not need to know anything about photons to come up with (discover by experiment) the laws of refraction.
Basically waves change speed when they travel from one medium to another medium.
Different wavelengths change speed by different amounts... this is called 'dispersion'
One fascinating feature (mentioned by tiny tim) is that the paths taken by waves fits with the principle that the waves will take the least time to get from one point to the next. It is easy to prove that this fits with observed effects and the best BY FAR book to read to get you deeper into this is Feynman's ...title escapes me... I will find the title.
Found it...''QED- the strange theory of light and matter.''

Last edited:

What is refraction and how does it affect the splitting of a photon?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums. This bending is caused by a change in the speed of light as it travels from one medium to another. When a photon travels through a medium with a different refractive index, its path will be altered, potentially causing it to split into multiple photons.

What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction in the splitting of a photon?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which a photon enters a medium, is directly related to the angle of refraction, or the angle at which it bends. This relationship is described by Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two mediums.

Can a photon be split into more than two photons during refraction?

Yes, it is possible for a photon to split into multiple photons during refraction. This can occur when a photon enters a medium with a highly varied refractive index, causing it to bend and split into several different directions.

How does the speed of light in a medium affect the splitting of a photon?

The speed of light in a medium is directly related to its refractive index. As the speed of light changes when it enters a new medium, the path of the photon will also be altered. This can lead to the splitting of a photon as it travels through the medium and encounters regions with different refractive indices.

What is the difference between refraction and splitting of a photon?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, while splitting of a photon refers to the phenomenon in which a single photon is divided into multiple photons during this bending process. Refraction is a natural occurrence that can happen to any type of light, while the splitting of a photon is a specific result of refraction that can occur in certain conditions.