1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refraction of light through a prism

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Revered members,
    Please see my attachment which deals with refraction of light through a prism. PQ is incident ray, QR is refracted ray and RS is emergent ray. i1,i2 are angles of incidence. i1 is angle of incidence, but how i2 qualifies to angle of incidence. Similarly how r2 is angle of refraction? Please help members

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2
    I am assuming a glass prism in air.
    To put it exactly, (according to the direction the light is following) r2 is the angle at which the light is incident at the glass-air interface and i2 is the angle of refraction when the light passes form glass into air.
    But, since the light could go exactly in the reversed path, i2 can be an angle of incidence of light on glass and then r2 would be the angle or refraction as light passes from air to glass.

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the reply grzz. Nice explanation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook