1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refrence math handbook

1. Mar 6, 2009 #1
    What is the best reference handbook in math?

I am an undergraduate math student.
    I need a handbook in case something skips my mind like a function or formulas .... In the huge field of math that happens a lot.

I need a handbook because I find it hard to carry my library around. and math courses are so connected to every where.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2009 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

4. Mar 6, 2009 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Jan 17, 2012 #4
    Hello all,

I am a graduate Physics student. I have strong math background. However, I started to forget some formulas, equations and so on because I am more focused on experimental physics.

I am looking for a book in math that I can you as a handbook. What do you think about Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Arfken and Weber. I heard that Bronstein's Handbook is good too.

Also, I don't what to pay a lot for a book that I will be using occasionally.

Thank you, Valentyn

6. Jun 15, 2012 #5
    I'd like to put in a plug for Alan Jeffrey's handbook: ISBN: 0123742889

In the past I've used both 1) the CRC (30th edition) and 2) Korn and Korn.... neither of which are perfect. I found the CRC didn't have everything I needed, while Korn and Korn is somewhat dated and poorly organized, (though it contains everything). As a result, I have been using the CRC primarily for tests, preparation, etc. However.....

My physics department recently adopted new rules concerning our qualifying exams that do not allow us to annotate opur math reference in any way (this eliminated my CRC). Also, the new rules state that the reference we are allowed on the exam can not contain any physics specific info, no matter how trivial (this eliminates Korn and Korn). As a result I've had to find a new math table.

Luckily, Jeffrey's book is pretty much the best of both worlds. It's a better math reference than either of the other two, the organization is excellent, and it only contains math. I'm very glad I found this book. Pretty much all the stuff I had added to the CRC is already included.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook