What's the most expired food you've found in your fridge?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Refrigerator
In summary, the room smelled terrible, and we eventually smelled it from outside the window and went to the RA to complain.
brewnog said:
So is there any risk in eating mouldy cheese which isn't supposed to be mouldy? Is there any risk in eating mouldy cheese which is supposed to be mouldy?
It appears to me that all cheese is supposed to be mouldy (and it's nice to see someone else who knows how to spell that); it's the nature of the beast. I just scrape it off with a knife, though. I don't like the texture.
That plastic crap they sell in individual slices and use on fast food burgers doesn't count. I don't know what the hell it is, but it sure ain't cheese. :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
Chronos said:
Once I was at a friends house for a fourth of July celebration. After a proper and vigorous celebration, everyone retired. I was, however, quite hungry and could not sleep. I remembered seeing a box of donuts in the garage refrigerator where the celebatory beverages were stored. I made my way out there. The fridge light didnt't work, but I had no problem finding the donuts using the braille system. I awakened in the morning, rubbed my eyes and went to the bathroom. Upon looking into the mirror I saw what appeared to be bruises around both eyes. I then noticed my hands were blue and fuzzy.

:yuck: Eeeewwww eeeewwwww eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww! :yuck:

Nope, not done yet.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :gag: :yuck:

I've never even seen a donut last long enough to get moldy! I can't imagine how old those must have been. :yuck: :yuck: Eeeeeeewwwww!

Oddly enough, pickled pigs feet came up as a topic of conversation at lunch (we were talking about Chinese restaurants and one that actually serves real Chinese food that one of the Chinese profs takes people to and he does the ordering since nobody else knows what's on the menu, and the only request anyone makes is that the choices not include any feet...so that brought up the topic of pickled pigs feet somehow). I was just about to bring up that someone online mentioned pickled squirrel's heads, but the person sitting next to me already seemed to be having trouble on the topic of eating feet, so I decided to drop the topic).

Okay, I think it's all out of my system now.

One more...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW! :yuck:

Okay, that's better. :tongue2:

(I'm not even going to attempt to extract a quote.

One has no choice but to stand back in abject admiration at the quality and eruditeness of your articulation. :rolleyes:

Danger said:
(I'm not even going to attempt to extract a quote.

One has no choice but to stand back in abject admiration at the quality and eruditeness of your articulation. :rolleyes:

Yup, all dem years of schoolin' really paid off, didn't they? :tongue2:

Chronos said:
Once I was at a friends house for a fourth of July celebration. After a proper and vigorous celebration, everyone retired. I was, however, quite hungry and could not sleep. I remembered seeing a box of donuts in the garage refrigerator where the celebatory beverages were stored. I made my way out there. The fridge light didnt't work, but I had no problem finding the donuts using the braille system. I awakened in the morning, rubbed my eyes and went to the bathroom. Upon looking into the mirror I saw what appeared to be bruises around both eyes. I then noticed my hands were blue and fuzzy.

That's legendary! :rofl: What was your next action? Didn't it make you sick; no food poisoning?

Moonbear said:
Yup, all dem years of schoolin' really paid off, didn't they? :tongue2:
Well... we hear things about the US education system up here, but we always figured that they were just horror stories that the grown-ups used to keep us from ditching class. :biggrin:

When us older kids were teenagers, my grandmother gave us homemade ice cream topping as a Christmas gift. It was in a big jar and it didn't need to be refrigerated, in spite of being made of various fruits (tutti-frutti ice cream topping). It had to be the most disgusting ice cream topping any of us had ever tasted. We tried it once and it sat closed on the counter forever more.

Well, at least for six months, anyway. After that, we opened it to decide whether or not we should finally throw it out. Fermentation had given it a much nicer smell. In fact, it even had a much nicer taste and we finally began to like it (much to the surprise of my parents who never went near the stuff after their first taste).

mapper said:
I get my wife/maid to clean out the fridge regularly.

you better hope to God that your wife dosn't check your history, or your wife/maid is no longer cleaning for you

LOL

Fibonacci

I and my roomates had a cooler that was left outside for a bit looked in and saw that the starburst and beer smell actually quite nice. So we decided to add to it more beer, bread, pizza, whiskey (wild turkey 101 not the good stuff), urine, dog crap. And after 3 years of extreme cold and hot we had ourselves a very nice science experiment thing was putrid ended up hating the condo we were living at and the people. So we soaked the sidewalk and parking lot with it on a nice hot summer day :)

Scratch said:
So we soaked the sidewalk and parking lot with it on a nice hot summer day :)
You are truly evil and disgusting. I salute you! :biggrin:

A guy at my old elementary school had some chocolate milk spill in his school bag.

It got so bad people were going home sick. Once they found out what it was, they hung the bag from the flag post til it aired out.

I think the most horrific image with a refrigerator is when the fridge is empty & the owner is broke.It can't get any worse than that...

Been there.It's not pretty.

Daniel.

Alkatran said:
A guy at my old elementary school had some chocolate milk spill in his school bag.

It got so bad people were going home sick. Once they found out what it was, they hung the bag from the flag post til it aired out.
:yuck: I know that smell, how about driving in a car that had a gallon of milk lying in the back trunk for some time in summer, which finally exploded? It takes a very very long time for the smell to go away :yuck:

1 said:
you better hope to God that your wife dosn't check your history, or your wife/maid is no longer cleaning for you

LOL

Fibonacci

hehe i was just kidding, she would own me if she seen that.

I can recall this one time when I was drinking and playing on my computer in my basement. I had some old empties of beer around my desk and mistakenly grabbed one of them instead of my fresh one. It was about three weeks old. Flung it back and as soon as I felt something solid and grainy bush my cheeks and slide down my throat I knew I was going to be in for a rough time. It didn’t take long before my body rejected my latest treat. Clean up took a while cause I also dropped the bottle on the concrete floor while I was busy puking.

It still brings shutters to my spine when I think back to that.

Monique said:
how about driving in a car that had a gallon of milk lying in the back trunk
Let that be a lesson to you. I always carry milk in the front trunk for that very reason.

And before some smart-ass (Evo?) jumps all over that, I do not ride an elephant. :biggrin:

I once had a old Lincoln..does that count?

hypatia said:
I once had a old Lincoln..does that count?
I don't know. What was his first name? Do I know him?

Well I don't recall his name, but he was dark gray. I more then likely called him son of a *itch...cause he quit on me often. I just hate when they do that!

hypatia said:
Well I don't recall his name, but he was dark gray. I more then likely called him son of a *itch...cause he quit on me often. I just hate when they do that!
I bet he wasn't more that 20 years old. Kids these days... no stamina!

Moonbear said:
:yuck: Eeeewwww eeeewwwww eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww! :yuck:

Nope, not done yet.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww! :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :gag: :yuck:
That was pretty much my reaction, only less dignified.

Last edited:
I remember my parents telling me about one they had to deal with. My grandparents are away on one of their 6 week holidays, and as always, my parents agree to pop in every once in a while, water the plants, sort the mail etc. One time they are met with a horrible, horrible smell, and find out that the fridge and freezer have stopped working entirely (and its the middle of a quite warm summer too). Luckily, there was no milk present, but I hear the meat and the icecream proved particularly horrid to remove.

Working in a grocery store I still remember doing produce. Sweet potatoes are some of the worst, they will liquify inside the skin. Another thing is that once one thing begins to go, everything begins to go. A couple boxes of rotten tomatoes can be very bad when the bottom of the boxes get soaked.

mapper said:
hehe i was just kidding, she would own me if she seen that.

I can recall this one time when I was drinking and playing on my computer in my basement. I had some old empties of beer around my desk and mistakenly grabbed one of them instead of my fresh one. It was about three weeks old. Flung it back and as soon as I felt something solid and grainy bush my cheeks and slide down my throat I knew I was going to be in for a rough time. It didn’t take long before my body rejected my latest treat. Clean up took a while cause I also dropped the bottle on the concrete floor while I was busy puking.

It still brings shutters to my spine when I think back to that.

:yuck: You win the prize! That one actually made me gag while reading it.

Moonbear said:
:yuck: You win the prize! That one actually made me gag while reading it.
Not me... but I guess that once again stems from working in a cowboy bar. It had a kitchen...

Danger said:
Not me... but I guess that once again stems from working in a cowboy bar. It had a kitchen...

Note to self: Don't eat the bar food in a cowboy bar.

(I think it was more in the way he told the story...imagining the feel of something grainy slipping past his cheek is really doing me in here...it sounded much worse than just waking up with blue hands or staring at a jar of pickled squirrel heads.)

Moonbear said:
imagining the feel of something grainy slipping past his cheek
Oh relax... I'm not going to mention it. o:)

When I lived in Chicago, I was out on a romantic first date. We were sitting outside at a bar, there was a tree next to our table, it was a beautiful evening. I was gazing lovingly into my date's eyes and took a sip of my beer. I felt something large, warm & slimy in my mouth. I instantly spit it back into my beer. It was a large pigeon poop.

Horror stories? It was a dark and stormy night...we hit black ice and flipped our vehicle about three times into a snow-covered field. After being released from the hospital, we headed for the nearest hotel to wash the mud and the blood and the beer, er the glass and twigs off. With Christmas now passed in such a manner, a friend borrows his brother's old van and drives to meet us. As we are heading home, freezing from lack of heat, we stop at the only place we see to get a bite to eat--good ole Denny's. About 30-45 minutes later two of us are sick with food poisoning, so once again we head to the nearest hotel. There we spend New Year's Eve going from chills to fever and other anguish (I'll spare you the details). Oh, I think to myself, I'm sure this is no indication of what the rest of the year will be like...until a few weeks later when I walk into a bar (not quite cowboy, but close enough), and after eating the chicken wings, an all too familiar feeling surged through me once again...:yuck:

I opened a fridge with no food in it once.

Evo said:
When I lived in Chicago, I was out on a romantic first date. We were sitting outside at a bar, there was a tree next to our table, it was a beautiful evening. I was gazing lovingly into my date's eyes and took a sip of my beer. I felt something large, warm & slimy in my mouth. I instantly spit it back into my beer. It was a large pigeon poop.
:yuck: To quote - Eeeeewww, eeeeeewww, eeewwwwww :yuck: [courtesy Moonbear]. My only question is were you drinking draft beer? If not, I don't even want to go there. Talk about finding a slug in a squirrels mouth... pass the salt.

Chronos said:
:Talk about finding a slug in a squirrels mouth... pass the salt.
I have absolutely no idea what the hell that means, but it sounds neat. I must agree that Evo's experience is pretty disgusting. (I don't mean the dog suit thing...)

I liked the beer story too. Reminds of why I quit drinking milk out of the carton. Is it just me, or did the TV show 'Leave it to Beaver' have cosmic symbolism in naming Theodores best friend, Lumpy?

Chronos said:
'Leave it to Beaver'
Hey! Get that over to the 'Old TV Shows' thread. It's one we missed.

Chronos said:
I liked the beer story too. Reminds of why I quit drinking milk out of the carton. Is it just me, or did the TV show 'Leave it to Beaver' have cosmic symbolism in naming Theodores best friend, Lumpy?

I'm pretty paranoid about drinking things from bottles and cans outside. I admit I never considered pigeon poop, but more that a fly or bee would get inside. We must think alike though, because when Evo said something slimy was in her beer, the first thing that came to my mind was a slug. Good reason to keep the cap placed on top of the bottle when you're not drinking.