1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regarding approximation theorem

1. Dec 2, 2005 #1
    The effect of a 2pi periodic function f is defined as
    [tex] P(f) = 1/(2\pi) \int_{-\pi}^\pi |f(t)|^2 \ dt[/tex]
    and Parsevals Theorem tells us that
    [tex] P(f) = \sum_{n=\infty}^\infty |c_n|^2 [/tex]. Now, it seems rather intuituve that the effect of the N'te partial sum is
    [tex] P(Sn) = \sum_{n=-N}^N |c_n|^2 [/tex] But what is the in-between math argument? And furthermore, how can i proove that the inequality [itex] P(Sn)/P(f) \geq \delta [/itex] is satisfied only if
    [tex] \sum_{|n|>N} |c_n|^2 \leq (1-\delta)P(f) [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2005 #2
    First Part:
    You can define "partial sum" (almost) any way you want here. If you have a series
    \sum_{n = A}^B \text{ (something)} \, ,
    any of the following are partial sums:
    f(S_1) &= \sum_{n = A^\prime}^B \text{ (something)} \, , \quad (A^\prime > A) \, ;\\
    f(S_2) &= \sum_{n = A}^{B^\prime} \text{ (something)} \, , \quad (B^\prime < B) \, ;\\
    f(S_\text{crazy}) &= \sum_{n = -1249742}^{197494614} \text{ (something)} \, .\\
    (The limits in the last expression are both between A and B.)
    You have it right. All you've done is written down a nice, symmetric partial sum, which is the one that will solve the...
    Second Part:
    P(f) = P(Sn) + \sum_{|n| > N} |c_n|^2 \, .
    Take it from there.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  4. Dec 3, 2005 #3
    Sorry, but im not sure i understand what you're trying to say. Shouldn one use the definition of effect to show that
    [tex] P(Sn) = \sum_{n=-N}^N |c_n|^2 [/tex]

Yes. Ok. I see, that greatest value of [tex] \sum_{|n| > N} |c_n|^2 [/tex] is bound to be no higher than P(f), and only when [itex] \delta = 0 [/itex]. And ofcourse when [itex] \delta = 1 [/itex], [tex] \sum_{|n| > N} |c_n|^2 \leq 0[/tex]. But i cant see why all the in-between values of delta must satisfy
    [tex] \sum_{|n| > N} |c_n|^2 \leq (1-\delta ) P(f)[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?