Regarding calculation of Plasma frequency and static dielectric constant

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the plasma frequency for various metals and the precision of these calculations. The formula for calculating plasma energy is mentioned, but the speaker does not have precise data for the conduction electron density and asks for sources. They also inquire about the relationship between plasma energy and band gap, and how to measure the static dielectric constant. Another contributor suggests using electronic structure programs and estimating the conduction electron density from the number of valence electrons. The conversation also touches on the visible range and reflectivity of metals, but notes that this is unrelated to the plasma frequency.
sami6108
Hello:

I want to calculate the plasma frequency of Au, Ag, Cu and Al. But wondering what is the most precise way to calculate the plasma frequency.If anyone can help me with that it will be really appreciated.

I know that Plasma Energy = √(n*e^2/(m*ε°)) = plank constant * ωp

Here, where n is the conduction electron density, e is the elementary charge, m is the electron mass, ε° the permittivity of free space and ωp the plasmon frequency.

But I do not have precise data or table of the conduction electron density. If anyone know any link or table please provide me the source.

My other question "Is the plasma energy equal to the Band gap of the metal"? If so then how to measure "Static dielectric constant" if we measure the plasma frequency or wave length from the following equation?

Plasma Energy = Energy Band Gap = plank constant * ωp

If anyone can reply that will be a big help for me. Any kind of reply will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sami

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculation of the plasma frequency from the conduction electron density is only approximate.
To really calculate it precisely you need to use some electronic structure programs.
The conduction electron density can be estimated from the number of conduction electrons (valence electrons) per atom. That is 1 for Cu, Ag, Au and 3 for Al.

The plasma frequency isn't related to the band gap.

Thanks man for the reply. I am working on it. But for the copper I have found from a website the free electron density (I am assuming this is the conduction electron density) is 8.4 * 10^ 28 / m^3 which gives a plasma wavelength around 115 nm but it should be around 500 nm mark. Wondering what went wrong, m I missing something or free electron density data is wrong?

500 nm would be in the visible which I don't believe. I'd buy more the 115 nm.
Note that copper and gold have some absorptions in the visible range (from d orbitals to the conduction band) due to which their reflectivity decreases in the visible range, but that is unrelated to the position of the plasma frequency.

1. What is the plasma frequency?

The plasma frequency is the frequency at which a plasma oscillates when it is disturbed by an external force. It is dependent on the density of the plasma and is typically in the range of microwave to ultraviolet frequencies.

2. How is the plasma frequency calculated?

The plasma frequency can be calculated using the formula ωp = √(nee20me), where ne is the electron density, e is the electron charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and me is the mass of an electron.

3. What is the relationship between the plasma frequency and the static dielectric constant?

The static dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical energy. It is related to the plasma frequency through the formula εr = 1 - (ωp/ω)2, where ω is the frequency of the electromagnetic wave.

4. Can the plasma frequency and static dielectric constant be experimentally measured?

Yes, both the plasma frequency and static dielectric constant can be experimentally measured using various techniques such as spectroscopy and dielectric constant measurements.

5. What are the practical applications of knowing the plasma frequency and static dielectric constant?

Knowledge of the plasma frequency and static dielectric constant is important in fields such as plasma physics, material science, and communication engineering. It is used in the design of plasma-based devices and in the understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different materials.