• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Regarding ' The Electric field inside a non conducting shell '

• Thread starter Uday
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
There is a Uniformly charged Non conducting Spherical shell along with a point charge external to the shell . they make up an isolated system . Find the electric field inside the shell .

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution Actually using superposition principle we obtain that the field is actually non zero . But in order to calculate the electric field inside the shell if i use gauss law by considering a gaussian surface inside the shell .... there will be no charge enclosed in it so by gauss law the flux is zero . since in that case ∫E.da = E∫da which is equal to zero . Since ∫da is non zero E must be zero .......
I guess there is some fault with this but im unable to find it out . So plz can u help me .
And thanks for sparing ur valuable time to read this .

Last edited:

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
That will not be true in general. Is anything known about the shape of the shell?
Im sorry thats a spherical shell
and i have edited my question .

Last edited:
Hello Uday

Actually using superposition principle we obtain that the field is actually non zero . But in order to calculate the electric field inside the shell if i use gauss law by considering a gaussian surface inside the shell .... there will be no charge enclosed in it so by gauss law the flux is zero . since in that case ∫E.da = E∫da which is equal to zero . Since ∫da is non zero E must be zero .......
I guess there is some fault with this but im unable to find it out . So plz can u help me .
And thanks for sparing ur valuable time to read this .
I think the problem lies in concluding that if the flux across the gaussian spherical surface is zero ,then the electric field is zero .

What is your reasoning behind moving E out of the integral ∫E.ds ?

Ya ..... thats ryt E isnt constant .....

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Im sorry thats a spherical shell
and i have edited my question .
OK, so forget the point charge for the moment. What field does a uniformly charged spherical shell generate inside itself?
Hint: when considering a Gaussian shell placed concentrically inside it, think about the symmetry.