1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regarding ' The Electric field inside a non conducting shell '

1. Jun 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There is a Uniformly charged Non conducting Spherical shell along with a point charge external to the shell . they make up an isolated system . Find the electric field inside the shell .

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution Actually using superposition principle we obtain that the field is actually non zero . But in order to calculate the electric field inside the shell if i use gauss law by considering a gaussian surface inside the shell .... there will be no charge enclosed in it so by gauss law the flux is zero . since in that case ∫E.da = E∫da which is equal to zero . Since ∫da is non zero E must be zero .......
    I guess there is some fault with this but im unable to find it out . So plz can u help me .
    And thanks for sparing ur valuable time to read this .

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That will not be true in general. Is anything known about the shape of the shell?

4. Jun 1, 2014 #3
    Im sorry thats a spherical shell
    and i have edited my question .

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  5. Jun 1, 2014 #4
    Hello Uday

I think the problem lies in concluding that if the flux across the gaussian spherical surface is zero ,then the electric field is zero .

What is your reasoning behind moving E out of the integral ∫E.ds ?

6. Jun 1, 2014 #5
    Ya ..... thats ryt E isnt constant .....

7. Jun 1, 2014 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, so forget the point charge for the moment. What field does a uniformly charged spherical shell generate inside itself?
    Hint: when considering a Gaussian shell placed concentrically inside it, think about the symmetry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted