Registering non-corresponding point clouds

• Thread starter preet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the problem at hand is registering two non-corresponding but similar point clouds using only rigid transformation. One approach is to use the Iterative Closest Point algorithm, which involves defining a function to measure the disparity between the two point sets and minimizing it to find a solution. Another approach could be to perform a principal component analysis on both clouds and align them using rotation and translation. The main challenge is defining a function to measure disparity between non-corresponding point sets.
preet
I'm interested in the problem of registering non-corresponding (but similar) point clouds.

I have two sets of point cloud data (points in xyz) representing the same geometric shape. However, the point cloud data does not correspond -- both clouds have a different number of points and there is no relation between the two clouds other than the fact that they represent a similar geometric shape.

The goal is to register one of these point clouds to the other one using only rigid transformation (translation, rotation).

I'm not sure how to approach this problem -- a lot of the information I've found on the internet points the Iterative Closest Point algorithm, which involves defining a function to measure the disparity between the two point sets and then minimizing it to converge to a solution. However, I don't know how to define a function to measure the disparity between the two point sets I've described, since the points do not correspond.

tldr;
How do I define a 'distance' or 'disparity' function between two sets of point clouds that do not correspond but represent a similar geometric structure?

TiA,

-preet

Physics news on Phys.org
One possibility is to perform a principal component analysis on both clouds of data, producing a coordinate system for each cloud. Then rotate/translate one cloud of data so that its coordinate system matches the other's.

FAQ: Registering non-corresponding point clouds

What does it mean to register non-corresponding point clouds?

Registering non-corresponding point clouds involves aligning two or more point clouds that do not have matching points or features. This is typically done by finding common features or landmarks between the point clouds and using mathematical algorithms to calculate the transformation needed to align them.

Why is registering non-corresponding point clouds important?

Registering non-corresponding point clouds allows for the creation of a unified and accurate representation of a 3D scene. This is crucial for various applications such as 3D modeling, mapping, and navigation.

How is the registration of non-corresponding point clouds achieved?

The registration of non-corresponding point clouds is achieved through a process called point cloud registration, which involves several steps such as data preprocessing, feature extraction, feature matching, and transformation estimation. Different algorithms and techniques can be used for each step, depending on the specific application and data.

What are the challenges of registering non-corresponding point clouds?

One of the main challenges of registering non-corresponding point clouds is finding reliable and accurate feature correspondences between the point clouds. This can be difficult if the point clouds have varying density, noise, or occlusions. Other challenges include dealing with large datasets, computational complexity, and finding the optimal transformation.

What are the common applications of registering non-corresponding point clouds?

The registration of non-corresponding point clouds has various applications in different fields such as robotics, augmented reality, virtual reality, and computer vision. It is used for creating 3D models, performing accurate and efficient 3D measurements, and for localization and navigation in autonomous systems.