Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regular expressions with google web search

1. May 19, 2016 #1
    Hi all,

Cam google web search accepet regular expressions? Especially, I need to search strings with any number between two words, for example: "vehicle runs at XXX km/h".

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2016 #2

Gold Member

"vehicle runs at *** km/h" returns entries containing

vehicle runs at less than 60 km/h
    Vehicle runs at speed of 70 km/h

and so on
  4. May 19, 2016 #3

Staff: Mentor

5. May 19, 2016 #4
    Three * means you are searching for three separate words. Indeed, both "less than 60" and "spee of 70" contain three words.
    This is a straightforward case, because "*" followed by a unit (km/h) push the "*" to be a number.

Thank you. I haven't found that list. But I think it might be solved by forcing a reasonable number range. As example:
    "Engine runs *"-> 150'000 results
    "Engine runs 1800..2500" -> 10'000 results and "engine runs" is actually followed by numbers.

6. May 19, 2016 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The .. operator creates a numeric search range .

eg Cameras £50..£300

Problem is that not much online technical data will be in a suitable format for Google to find .

Using search formats like ' Effect of speed on engine performance ' or ' drag on vehicles at high speed ' will usually generate much more information but you will then have to sift it manually .

7. May 19, 2016 #6
    you're on right and the link is really precious
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted