Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regular expressions with google web search

Tags:
  1. May 19, 2016 #1
    Hi all,

Cam google web search accepet regular expressions? Especially, I need to search strings with any number between two words, for example: "vehicle runs at XXX km/h".

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2016 #2

DrSteve

Gold Member

"vehicle runs at *** km/h" returns entries containing

vehicle runs at less than 60 km/h
    Vehicle runs at speed of 70 km/h

and so on

4. May 19, 2016 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

5. May 19, 2016 #4
    Three * means you are searching for three separate words. Indeed, both "less than 60" and "spee of 70" contain three words.
    This is a straightforward case, because "*" followed by a unit (km/h) push the "*" to be a number.

Thank you. I haven't found that list. But I think it might be solved by forcing a reasonable number range. As example:
    "Engine runs *"-> 150'000 results
    "Engine runs 1800..2500" -> 10'000 results and "engine runs" is actually followed by numbers.

Thanks

6. May 19, 2016 #5

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The .. operator creates a numeric search range .

eg Cameras £50..£300

Problem is that not much online technical data will be in a suitable format for Google to find .

Using search formats like ' Effect of speed on engine performance ' or ' drag on vehicles at high speed ' will usually generate much more information but you will then have to sift it manually .

http://www.googleguide.com/advanced_operators_reference.html

7. May 19, 2016 #6
    Thanks,
    you're on right and the link is really precious

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted