Reichenbach Synchronisation: Proving i=r

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Reichenbach synchronization and the one-way speed of light in different directions. The goal is to prove that the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection, but using Huyghens leads to a different result. The conversation also mentions the use of Anderson coordinates and provides a link for further information. In Anderson coordinates, the temporal coordinate is affected while the spatial coordinates remain unchanged. This suggests that the angle is the same in both cases.
wnvl2
I use Reichenbach synchronisation. The one-way speed of light (OWSOL) in the x and y-direction is ##\frac{c}{2\epsilon}## and in the reverse direction it is for both ##\frac{c}{2(1-\epsilon)}## such that the average round trip speed of light is ##c##. For any choice of ##\epsilon## the physical laws should remain the sames as for ##\epsilon = \frac{1}{2}##.

My goal is to prove that the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection. When using Huyghens it is obvous that I get a different result.

How can I prove ##i = r##?
mirror.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I use units where ##c=1## and Anderson coordinates so ##\kappa=2 \epsilon-1##. The transform between Minkowski coordinates (lower case) and Anderson coordinates (upper case) is: $$ t=T+\kappa X$$ $$x=X$$ $$y=Y$$ $$z=Z$$

So, in the Minkowski coordinates we can write the equation of an ingoing null geodesic as $$r^\mu(t,x,y,z) = \left( \lambda, -\frac{\lambda}{\sqrt{2}} , \frac{\lambda}{\sqrt{2}} ,0 \right)$$ for ##\lambda<0## and the equation of an outgoing null geodesic as $$r^\mu(t,x,y,z) = \left( \lambda, \frac{\lambda}{\sqrt{2}} , \frac{\lambda}{\sqrt{2}} ,0 \right)$$ for ##0<\lambda##.

Then transforming from the Minkowski coordinates to the Anderson coordinates we get $$r^\mu(T,X,Y,Z) = \left( \lambda + \frac{\kappa\lambda}{\sqrt{2}} , -\frac{\lambda}{\sqrt{2}} , \frac{\lambda}{\sqrt{2}} ,0 \right)$$ and $$r^\mu(T,X,Y,Z) = \left( \lambda - \frac{\kappa\lambda}{\sqrt{2}} , \frac{\lambda}{\sqrt{2}} , \frac{\lambda}{\sqrt{2}} ,0 \right)$$

So the transformation does not affect the spatial coordinates, just the temporal coordinate. So the angle is the same in both cases.

Likes cianfa72 and wnvl2
Do you have a link about "Anderson coordinates"?

What is Reichenbach Synchronisation?

Reichenbach Synchronisation is a concept in physics that refers to the synchronization of two clocks in different locations using the one-way speed of light as a reference. It was proposed by the German physicist Hans Reichenbach in the 1920s.

How does Reichenbach Synchronisation work?

Reichenbach Synchronisation works by measuring the one-way speed of light between two locations and using it as a reference to synchronize the clocks. This is achieved by sending light signals back and forth between the two locations and adjusting the clocks accordingly.

Why is Reichenbach Synchronisation important?

Reichenbach Synchronisation is important because it allows for the accurate measurement of time in different locations. It is also a key concept in the theory of relativity and has implications for our understanding of space and time.

What is the difference between Reichenbach Synchronisation and Einstein Synchronisation?

The main difference between Reichenbach Synchronisation and Einstein Synchronisation is the method used to synchronize the clocks. While Reichenbach Synchronisation uses the one-way speed of light as a reference, Einstein Synchronisation uses the two-way speed of light. This results in a slight difference in the synchronized time between the two methods.

How is the equation i=r used to prove Reichenbach Synchronisation?

The equation i=r, where i is the one-way speed of light and r is the round-trip speed of light, is used to prove Reichenbach Synchronisation by showing that the one-way speed of light is constant in all directions. This is a fundamental principle in the theory of relativity and is necessary for the synchronization of clocks using the one-way speed of light.