Relate inclined plane's angle of incline to FBD's weight COM

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Tyrannosaurus_
Messages
41
Reaction score
2
Please show me the relationship that proves how an inclined plane's angle of incline, θ, is equal to the angle used to find the components of gravity force.

I know that the angles are the same, but I'd like a way to show it.

Thanks!
 
Attachments
  • frictionincline.gif
    frictionincline.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the reply! I do appreciate your help, and support.
I understand similar triangles.

I am looking for a relationship that is simple to communicate with students. Currently, I use a physical model with a weighted string, & some cardboard arrows to show the x & y axis.

All help & discussion is appreciated.
I would appreciate it a little more if you could find, or show me the relationship explicitly; instead of, implying the relationship is there, & I'm too stupid to figure it out. I'd like the proof. I expect parallel line theorem is used. Is this true? Can someone show this to me, please.

Thank you!