1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Relate inclined plane's angle of incline to FBD's weight COM

1. Aug 22, 2016 #1
    Please show me the relationship that proves how an inclined plane's angle of incline, θ, is equal to the angle used to find the components of gravity force.

I know that the angles are the same, but I'd like a way to show it.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2016 #2

billy_joule

Science Advisor

4. Aug 23, 2016 #3
    Thanks for the reply! I do appreciate your help, and support.
    I understand similar triangles.

I am looking for a relationship that is simple to communicate with students. Currently, I use a physical model with a weighted string, & some cardboard arrows to show the x & y axis.

All help & discussion is appreciated.
    I would appreciate it a little more if you could find, or show me the relationship explicitly; instead of, implying the relationship is there, & I'm too stupid to figure it out. I'd like the proof. I expect parallel line theorem is used. Is this true? Can someone show this to me, please.

Thank you!

5. Aug 23, 2016 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Aug 24, 2016 #5
    Elegant & Exact.
    A sincere Thank You!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted