1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rate - Rate of The Change in Distance of Two Ships

1. Dec 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ship A is 100 km west of ship B. Ship A is moving at 35 km/h (west), ship B is moving at 25 km/h (north). Find the rate of change of the distance between the two ships after 4 hours.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

the distance between the two ships is shown by

[itex]a^{2}+b^{2}=c^{2}[/itex]

Am I right to assume:

[itex][\frac{ds_{a}}{dt}]^{2}+[\frac{ds_{b}}{dt}]^{2}=[\frac{ds_{c}}{dt}]^{2}[/itex]

So, I need to find the rate of change of C? After 4 hours, the ships are 260 km apart.

I need a helping hint.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you write the distance apart as a function of the time t? Your derivative formula isn't correct.

4. Dec 23, 2012 #3
    You mean like d=vt? I'm highly confused. I'm not sure how to relate the total distance C with d=vt.

5. Dec 23, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick coordinates. Suppose A is at (0,0) at time t=0 and B is at (100,0). Where are they at another time? You figured out the distance at t=4. Just do it for any t.

6. Dec 23, 2012 #5
    at time t, they're at [itex]d_{a}=35t[/itex]

[itex]d_{b}=25t[/itex].

7. Dec 23, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't describe locations in the plane with a single number. Use coordinates.

8. Dec 23, 2012 #7
    Ok, I'm not following. Let me try another example.

A pile of gravel is being poured from a belt at a rate of 20 m cubed per min. The base will always be half the height. How fast the the pile changing when h=10m?

So, you take the equation for the volume of a cone. take the derivative with respect to h. And we also have the change in volume with respect to time. How do we relate all this to time?

We have [itex]\frac{dV}{dh}=\frac{1}{4}\pi h^{2}[/itex]

And: [itex]\frac{dV}{dt}=20m^{3}/s[/itex]

Now what? We have these two derivatives. This is the part I don't understand.

9. Dec 23, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. How about using [itex]\frac{dV}{dh} \frac{dh}{dt}=\frac{dV}{dt}[/itex]? That's the chain rule. You can use the same approach for the first one if you clearly define what a, b and c are.

10. Dec 24, 2012 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Assume at the start that ship B is at a reference point.
    At any time t, let a be distance of ship A from the reference point, and let b equal the distance of ship B from the reference point.

[itex]\[
    a = 35t + 100,\quad b = 25t
    \][/itex]

Now, let h be the distance between the two ships at any time t, so that, by pythagorean theorem,
    [tex] \[
    \begin{array}{l}
    h^2 = a^2 + b^2 \\
    h^2 = \left( {35t + 100} \right)^2 + \left( {25t} \right)^2 \\
    \end{array}
    \]
    [/tex]
    and using suitable steps,

[tex]
    \[
    h = 5\sqrt {74t^2 + 280t + 400}
    \]
    [/tex]

You should be able to understand, and then continue and finish the exercise from this.

11. Dec 24, 2012 #10
    [itex]\frac{dV}{dh} \frac{dh}{dt}=\frac{dV}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{4}\pi h^{2}\frac{dh}{dt}[/itex] = 20

At this point we plug in 10 for h? so that means [itex]\frac{dh}{dt}[/itex]=.255?

12. Dec 24, 2012 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure.

13. Dec 24, 2012 #12
    So that begs the question, WHY is this correct? I can't find anything to explain it clearly. I don't know why you just plug in dh/dt

14. Dec 24, 2012 #13

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Astrum, what are you asking in post #7? How fast is height, h changing when it is 10 meters?

Let me try.

b is base, r is radius, given base is half of height h. Radius is half of b.
    [tex]
    \[
    \begin{array}{l}
    {\rm }b = {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}h \\
    {\rm }r = {\textstyle{1 \over 2}}b \\
    \end{array}
    \]

[/tex]

[tex]
    \[
    V = \frac{\pi }{{3 \cdot 8}}h^3
    \]
    [/tex]
    V and h are functions of time. V is a function of h, but both of them are functions of time. That is why you use Chain Rule when you find derivative of the right-hand side.

note: may need to check my V result carefully in case arithmetic mistakes; but I believe they're good.
    EDIT: Now the formatting in the post is not working. I'll try in the next post.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  15. Dec 24, 2012 #14

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

base b is half of height h,
    radius is half of b,

[tex]\[
    \begin{array}{l}
    b = \frac{1}{2}h \\
    r = \frac{1}{2}b \\
    \end{array}
    \]
    [/tex]

[tex] \[
    V = \frac{\pi }{{3 \cdot 8}}h^3
    \]
    [/tex]

16. Dec 24, 2012 #15
    Yes. I'm just confused as to how you can get dh/dt in there. My confusion comes form not understand implicit differentiation 100%.

17. Dec 24, 2012 #16

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Implicit differentiation is unnecessary. You can start (or continue) with the formula for volume of the cone, and this is a function of height, h. You need a bit of substitution as I showed to put the expression in the form as I have.

THEN,
    1. Differentiate V with regard to t,
    2. Use Chain Rule to differentiate h with regard to t, because h is a function of t.

18. Dec 24, 2012 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Like I was saying in post 8, implicit differentiation is really just using the chain rule. Do you understand the chain rule?

19. Dec 24, 2012 #18

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I am possibly unclear about what is and is not implicit differentiation. I have not reviewed it specifically, so I have learned (or relearned) how to find derivative without deciding if I am doing so "implicitly" or not.

Simply, V and h both are function of t; so one differentiates both sides of the formula with respect to t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook