Related rates differentiation problem

In summary, at 4:00 pm, the distance between ships A and B is changing at a rate of approximately 21.39 km/hr. This is calculated by finding the derivatives of the positions of the ships and plugging them into the equation for the rate of change in distance.
frosty8688
1. At noon, ship A is 150 km west of ship B. Ship A is sailing east at 35 km/hr and ship B is sailing north at 25 km/hr. How fast is the distance between the ships changing at 4:00 pm?

2. None

3. I have the distance as 150 km. I have the variables [itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = 35[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 25[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dZ}{dt} = ?[/itex] I am just wondering on how to set up the equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the relationship between x, y, and Z? Note that Z is the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

x is ship A's position, y is ship B's position and Z is the rate of change in distance.

Realize that the distance equation is the Pythagorean equation, so try setting up a triangle with what you know, and see if you can figure out how to get the hypotenuse of the triangle from what you are given.

Ok, thanks for the help.

frosty8688 said:
x is ship A's position, y is ship B's position and Z is the rate of change in distance.

Oops, I misread the part that stated that A started west of B and is traveling east. Suppose we call the point where ship B started point O. |AO| = 150. As time goes on, A gets closer to O. What expression would give us the distance |AO| in terms of x?

Also, Z is the distance between A and B. It is not the rate of change in distance.

The equation would be: [itex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(2(150 + x) + 2y)\frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{dy}{dt}}{2z}[/itex]

frosty8688 said:
The equation would be: [itex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(2(150 + x) + 2y)\frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{dy}{dt}}{2z}[/itex]

No. First, the distance |AO| would be 150 - x, not 150 + x. 2nd, show us the equation BEFORE taking the derivative.

The equation before taking the derivative is (150 - x)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = z[itex]^{2}[/itex]

frosty8688 said:
The equation before taking the derivative is (150 - x)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + y[itex]^{2}[/itex] = z[itex]^{2}[/itex]
I think I see what you did earlier. On the side with the x and y, take the derivative separately, and put the dx/dt and dy/dt next to each term. Earlier, you wrote [itex](2(150 + x) + 2y)\frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] (ignoring the 150+x error), which makes no sense. The numerator should be written as
(derivative of (150 - x)2)(dx/dt) + (derivative of y2)(dy/dt).

It would be [itex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(150 - x)\frac{dx}{dt} + y \frac{dy}{dt}}{z}[/itex]

frosty8688 said:
It would be [itex]\frac{dz}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{(150 - x)\frac{dx}{dt} + y \frac{dy}{dt}}{z}[/itex]

Nope. You didn't take the derivative of (150 - x)2 correctly. Nor the derivative of y2.

The derivative would be [itex]\frac{2(150-x)\frac{dx}{dt} + 2y\frac{dy}{dt}}{2z}[/itex]

frosty8688 said:
The derivative would be [itex]\frac{2(150-x)\frac{dx}{dt} + 2y\frac{dy}{dt}}{2z}[/itex]

Close. You need a negative in front of the 2(150 - x)(dx/dt). (You need to use the chain rule.) Also, to simplify things, factor out the 2 in the numerator and cancel with the 2 in the denominator.

Find the distance ship A traveled (x) in 4 hours. Find the distance ship B traveled (y) in 4 hours. Find Z. Then plug everything in the dZ/dt equation.

What I got is [itex]\frac{4300}{10\sqrt{101}}[/itex] km/hr

Which is about 42.79 km/hr

frosty8688 said:
What I got is [itex]\frac{4300}{10\sqrt{101}}[/itex] km/hr

That's not what I got. Can you please show all of your work here, instead of just writing the final answer?

Last edited:
35 * 4 = 140 for x, 25 * 4 = 100 for y; [itex]\frac{-2(150-140)*35+2*100*25}{\sqrt{(150-140)^{2}+ 100^{2}}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-2*10*35 + 5000}{\sqrt{10^{2} + 100^{2}}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-700 + 5000}{\sqrt{10100}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{4300}{10\sqrt{101}}[/itex]

frosty8688 said:
35 * 4 = 140 for x, 25 * 4 = 100 for y; [itex]\frac{-2(150-140)*35+2*100*25}{\sqrt{(150-140)^{2}+ 100^{2}}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-2*10*35 + 5000}{\sqrt{10^{2} + 100^{2}}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-700 + 5000}{\sqrt{10100}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{4300}{10\sqrt{101}}[/itex]

Looks like you removed the 2 in the denominator, but never factored out or canceled the 2's in the numerator. Let's just forget about canceling out the 2. You should have written:
[tex]\frac{-2(150-140) \cdot 35+2 \cdot 100 \cdot 25}{2\sqrt{(150-140)^{2}+ 100^{2}}}[/tex]
(Also, don't use "*" for multiplication in LaTeX. Use "\cdot" instead.)

I see, my mistake. I must have missed the 2 in the denominator.

It would be about 21.39 km/hr

That's what I got. You have to be careful with the algebra when solving Calculus problems. (Not easy -- I know.)

1. What is a related rates differentiation problem?

A related rates differentiation problem is a type of problem in calculus that involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable, where the two variables are related by an equation.

2. How do I solve a related rates differentiation problem?

To solve a related rates differentiation problem, you first need to identify the variables and their relationship in the given problem. Then, you can use the chain rule and implicit differentiation to find an equation that relates the rates of change of the variables. Finally, you can plug in the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

3. What are some common examples of related rates differentiation problems?

Some common examples of related rates differentiation problems include finding the rate at which the radius of a circle is changing as the circumference changes, finding the rate at which the height of a cone is changing as the volume changes, and finding the rate at which the angle of elevation is changing as the distance between two objects changes.

4. What is the importance of related rates differentiation problems?

Related rates differentiation problems are important because they allow us to model and analyze real-world situations where multiple variables are changing in relation to each other. They also help us develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential in many fields of science and engineering.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates differentiation problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving related rates differentiation problems include mixing up the variables and their rates of change, forgetting to use the chain rule or implicit differentiation, and not carefully considering the given information and units of measurement. It is also important to double-check your final answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.