1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relating derivative to original function

1. Aug 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [a, b] be an interval in R, and f:[a, b] -> R be differentiable on [a, b]. Assume f(a) = 0, and that there is a number M such that
    [tex]\left|f'(x)\right| \leq M \left|f(x)\right|[/tex]
    for all x in [a, b]. Prove that f is identically 0 on [a, b].

2. Relevant equations
    Mean Value Theorem?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried this problem multiple times and I keep hitting a wall. I've tried to approach it through contradiction, letting c be some point in [a, b] such that f(c) > 0, but it always seems that we could find an M sufficiently large such that this is true.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2008 #2
    I found some hints in Rudin and I think I've almost got it but I can't justify one step:

Fix x0 in [a,b], let M0 = sup|f(x)| and M1 = sup|f'(x)| for a < x < x0. (Should be less than or equal to).

Then for any such x,
    [tex]\left|f(x)\right| \leq M_1 (x_0 - a) \leq A (x_0 - a) M_0[/tex]

The middle step I can justify with the MVT and the next one with the given relation between f and its derivative. Now how do I show that M0 must be 0. I believe it has something to do with how we choose x0 (we can choose it to be very small). Thanks.

4. Aug 7, 2008 #3

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Should that A be an M?

Anyway, suppose for a contradiction that M0>0. We may also assume that M>0 (why?). By definition, we have

[tex]M_0 \leq M (x_0 - a) M_0.[/tex]

What does this tell us?

5. Aug 8, 2008 #4
    Yes, that should be an M, thank you.

I can see why M > 0. If M < 0 we would have

[tex]0 \leq \left| f'(x) \right| \leq M \left| f(x) \right| \leq 0[/tex]

and we are done.

Now if M0 > 0, then we must have

[tex] M (x_0 - a) \geq 1[/tex]

for all x in (a, x0), but this fails if we choose x to be a + 1/(2M).

[tex] M (a + \frac{1}{2M} - a) = M(\frac{1}{2M}) = \frac{1}{2} \geq 1[/tex].

Is this the idea? Thanks for the help.

6. Aug 8, 2008 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yup, that's the idea. (That last [itex]\geq[/itex] should really be a [itex]<[/itex] though!)

7. Aug 8, 2008 #6
    Right, I meant that as a contradiction. Thanks again for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?