Relation between centrifugal force and speed

In summary: With a banked road, there is still the component of gravity that is perpendicular to the pavement, and that component is non-zero and does contribute to the centripetal force.But as you pointed out, this is not what makes the car go around the curve. It's just an additional force that has to be overcome. The centripetal force required to keep a car in a circular path is independent of the banking angle of the road.In summary, the centrifugal force does not generate an increase in overall speed but rather changes the direction of motion. The force required to make a car follow a circular path depends on the speed of the car
physicsnewbie101
Does centrifugal force generate in increase in overall speed? For example, if I am driving down a highway on-ramp which goes in a circular fashion, with my speed slowly increasing, does my overall speed increase because of the centrifugal force generated from the circular on-ramp? Is more force needed to control the car because of this?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsnewbie101 said:
Does centrifugal force generate in increase in overall speed?
No. It changes the direction of the motion but not the speed.
physicsnewbie101 said:
For example, if I am driving down a highway on-ramp which goes in a circular fashion, with my speed slowly increasing, does my overall speed increase because of the centrifugal force generated from the circular on-ramp?
If your speed is slowly increasing it is because you are going downhill as you turn or because you are pushing on the accelerator or both.
physicsnewbie101 said:
Is more force needed to control the car because of this?
I don't understand the question. What is "this" that might require "more force" to control the car?

kuruman said:
No. It changes the direction of the motion but not the speed.
That's what the centipetal froce does in the inertial frame. The centrufugal froce is what balances the centipetal force in the rotating frame, where the car is static.

physicsnewbie101 said:
Does centrifugal force generate in increase in overall speed? For example, if I am driving down a highway on-ramp which goes in a circular fashion, with my speed slowly increasing, does my overall speed increase because of the centrifugal force generated from the circular on-ramp? Is more force needed to control the car because of this?

At some point, you need to learn about centripetal force, instead of "centrifugal force", which is only an "apparent force" when you are in a non-inertial reference frame. Centripetal force is "real", centrifugal force is nothing more than a reaction force to the centripetal force.

These are "central forces", meaning they act towards a center, and are always perpendicular to the direction of motion. If you've learned basic kinematics and basic vector addition, then a perpendicular force will not increase the speed or change the energy of motion. It merely changes the DIRECTION of motion. The force does no work.

Zz.

A.T. said:
That's what the centipetal froce does in the inertial frame. The centrufugal froce is what balances the centipetal force in the rotating frame, where the car is static.
That is true. It wasn't clear to me whether OP distinguishes the difference between centrifugal and centripetal force.

Centrifugal and centripetal forces typically act sideways on a car so can't increase its forward speed.

The centripetal force required to make the car follow a circular path depends on the speed of the car (actually speed squared) so the faster you go the more friction is required to make the turn. However the available friction is limited and can vary due to changes in the road surface. One moment there might be enough friction for a turn at the speed you are going and the next there isn't. This can affect the ability of the car to make smooth turns or even retain control. Friction is also needed to slow down or stop, and if it's all been "used up" providing centripetal force there will be none left for braking. In short it's never a good idea to drive so fast you run out of friction when you need it

CWatters said:
The centripetal force required to make the car follow a circular path depends on the speed of the car (actually speed squared) so the faster you go the more friction is required to make the turn. However the available friction is limited and can vary due to changes in the road surface.

With tight curves and/or high speeds, the road is banked so that the component of the force of gravity parallel to the road contributes to the centripetal force.

pixel said:
With tight curves and/or high speeds, the road is banked so that the component of the force of gravity parallel to the road contributes to the centripetal force.
Huh? You can break gravity into components perpendicular to the pavement and parallel the pavement, sure. But gravity is still a downward force whose projection in the centripetal direction is zero regardless. This means that if gravity has a component parallel to the pavement that in turn has a projection in the centripetal direction that is positive, then it also has a component perpendicular to the pavement that has a projection in the centripetal direction that is negative. Gravity cancels out as a contribution to centripetal acceleration.

The tilted pavement is a constraint that forces any motion in the direction of the centrifugal force to be associated with a gain in height. That gain in height is opposed by gravity.

jbriggs444 said:
Huh?

As you so kindly point out, my statement was not correct. I was thinking that with a banked road the axis about which the car is rotating is tilted and the centripetal force pointed along the road. Not so. That's what happens when one discusses something one hasn't thought about in decades.

But I think it's correct to say that gravity does play a role, as without it there would be no normal force, the horizontal component of which is providing the centripetal force. Angle needed to keep the car on the road surface and moving in a circle: tanθ = v2/gr .

Would what I originally said apply if you were going around a banked curve and also going downhill?

Last edited:
I have no idea why this is such a point of contention when one can easily and simply draw out the free-body diagram. In fact, that is what should have been done way in the beginning and would have saved a lot of discussion from the start.

This is basic physics. It should not be this painful to straighten out.

Zz.

pixel said:
But I think it's correct to say that gravity does play a role, as without it there would be no normal force, the horizontal component of which is providing the centripetal force.
Also, the Big Bang plays a role, as without it there would be no ...

A.T. said:
Also, the Big Bang plays a role, as without it there would be no ...

... sarcastic comments.

1. What is centrifugal force and how does it relate to speed?

Centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act on objects in circular motion. It is the outward force that appears to push objects away from the center of rotation. The magnitude of centrifugal force increases as the speed of the object increases.

2. Can centrifugal force be greater than the actual force applied?

Yes, centrifugal force can be greater than the actual force applied. This is because centrifugal force is a result of the inertia of an object in circular motion and does not require an actual force to be applied.

3. How does the direction of centrifugal force change with speed?

The direction of centrifugal force is always perpendicular to the velocity of the object in circular motion. As the speed increases, the direction of the force remains the same, but its magnitude increases.

4. What is the relationship between centrifugal force and centripetal force?

Centrifugal force and centripetal force are two forces that act on objects in circular motion. Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to push objects away from the center of rotation. The magnitude of these forces is equal at a constant speed.

5. How does the radius of rotation affect centrifugal force?

The radius of rotation has a direct impact on the magnitude of centrifugal force. The larger the radius of rotation, the smaller the centrifugal force, and vice versa. This means that at the same speed, an object with a larger radius of rotation will experience a smaller centrifugal force compared to an object with a smaller radius.