Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation Between Computers, Light and Pi

1. Jun 18, 2015 #1
    Is this equation of any use or in any way interesting?

CodeCogsEqn(1).gif

c = speed of light (m/s)
    e = euler's number

I don't know much about physics but

2^6=log_2(64), this is a binary logarithm so would this mean that computers, the world (c and e) and circles(pi) all be related somehow by this equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2015 #2

Borg

Gold Member

Yes, we've all seen things like that.

approximations.png

4. Jun 18, 2015 #3
    I don't get it

5. Jun 18, 2015 #4

Borg

Gold Member

Just because something makes a good approximation, doesn't mean that there is a relationship.

6. Jun 18, 2015 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

No. This is just numerology. Look what happens if you change units.

7. Jun 18, 2015 #6
    It is not dimensionally consistent so there is no point to ask about usefulness.
    It does not make sense at all if c is a physical quantity and not just some arbitrary number.
    Speed of light is 186 000. In miles per second. Does you relation still "works" with this number?
    If you had a valid equation, changing units will not affect the validity, as long as you do it consistently.

8. Jun 18, 2015 #7
    This totally brings me back to when I lived in England and argued with a guy in a pub about Pi. He insisted that Pi *is* 22/7. Obviously me trying to educate him about irrational numbers was of little value.

9. Jun 18, 2015 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

EDIT -- We do not discuss numerology here on the PF. Thread will remain closed.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook