The relation between imaginary part of permittivity to conductivity

In summary, the conversation is about converting the value of conductivity for saline at 500 MHz, where the article presents the conductivity as ε'' = 70. The speaker wants to convert it to σ(S/m) and uses the relation between σ and ε'' (ε'' = σω/ε0) to do so. However, the numbers do not fit and the speaker suspects it is due to a problem with the units. They then ask for help finding the real and imaginary parts of equation 1 in the paper.
uzi kiko
Hi
When I read the following article:
http://nopr.niscair.res.in/bitstream/123456789/14183/1/IJPAP%2050%286%29%20405-410.pdf

I tried to convert the value of the conductivity for saline in 500 MHz.
At the article, they present the conductivity as ε'' = 70. Which ε'' is the imaginary part of permittivity.
I would like to convert it to: σ(S/m)

I tried to use the relation between σ and ε'': ε'' = σω/ε0.
I know that σ(S/m) for 500 MHz should be between 1 and 3, but when I put the numbers in the equation :
ε0 = 8.85e-12 and w=2*pi*500e6

The numbers don't fit.
I am pretty sure that I have a problem with the units.

Thanks a lot!

Likes Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
find the real and imaginary parts of equation 1 in the paper...

What is the definition of permittivity and conductivity?

Permittivity is a measure of a material's ability to store an electric field, while conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct an electric current.

How are permittivity and conductivity related?

Permittivity and conductivity are inversely related. This means that as the permittivity of a material increases, its conductivity decreases, and vice versa.

What is the significance of the imaginary part of permittivity?

The imaginary part of permittivity, also known as the dielectric loss, indicates the amount of energy that is lost as heat when an electric field is applied to a material. It is a measure of the material's ability to dissipate energy.

How does the imaginary part of permittivity affect conductivity?

The imaginary part of permittivity has an inverse relationship with conductivity. As the imaginary part of permittivity increases, the conductivity decreases. This is because a higher dielectric loss means more energy is lost as heat, reducing the material's ability to conduct electricity.

What factors can affect the relationship between the imaginary part of permittivity and conductivity?

The relationship between the imaginary part of permittivity and conductivity can be affected by various factors such as temperature, frequency of the electric field, and the type of material. These factors can alter the material's ability to store and conduct electricity, thus impacting the relationship between the two properties.