1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between Electric field and Magnetic field?

1. Sep 29, 2014 #1
    An observer in an inertial frame finds that at a point P the Electric field vanishes but the Magnetic field does not. This implies that in any other inertial frame the electric field E and the magnetic field B satisfy:
    [these values in vectors]
    1. |E|2 = |B|2
    2. E . B = 0
    3. E x B = 0
    4. E = 0

I know the answer is E.B = 0 but why is that?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What quantities (involving EM fields) do you know that are invariand under Lorentz transformations?

4. Sep 29, 2014 #3
    What is the relativistic definition of a scalar?

5. Sep 30, 2014 #4
    I don't know these values. This is a question of my exam. There is nothing given more.

6. Sep 30, 2014 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you do not know the expressions for the invariants of the electromagnetic field, then you have no chance (or rather 25% chance) to answer this question correctly. This suggests that your examiner expects you to know. Do you have some course litterature where you can look them up?

7. Sep 30, 2014 #6
    I have only its paper, I attached it, It is question no. 2 in it.

Attached Files:

8. Sep 30, 2014 #7
    Its all I have

9. Sep 30, 2014 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So I am assuming this is a general physics test of some sort. Your problem will not be solvable until you know some special relativity and how it describes the electromagnetic field. In order to fully understand the solution, you will also need to know what is meant by a Lorentz scalar and use some of the properties of the electromagnetic field tensor (see, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_tensor#Properties).

If you find the correct argumentation to use, this problem is solved in one line. In accordance with forum guidelines I will refrain from posting it here.

10. Sep 30, 2014 #9
    Thanks a lot. I will check it.

11. Sep 30, 2014 #10

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just another small pointer: When they talk about a Lorentz invariant in the Wikipedia link above, this means that they are talking about a quantity which has the same value in all inertial frames. Given this information along with the Wikipedia information, you should be able to deduct the correct answer. Please tell me when you have figured it out and ask if you have further questions.

12. Jul 23, 2017 #11
    I'm still unable to get this relation. E.B =0
    I guess for inertial frame, it should be easier

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted