1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Relation between vectors in body coordinates and space coordinates

1. Apr 7, 2016 #1
    Why is ##a_{ji}dG_j'=dG_i'## ?
    from the third last line below.

##G_i=a_{ji}G_j'## because a vector labelled by the space axes is related to the same vector labelled by the body axes via a rotation transformation.

If ##a_{ji}dG_j'=dG_i'##, then we are saying a vector ##dG'## labelled by the body axes is related to the same vector labelled similarly via a rotation transformation. This doesn't make sense.

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 1.40.36 am.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 2.05.47 am.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 2.07.51 am.png

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They are doing the case where instantaneously the ## a_{ij} ## is the identity matrix, but it will still have a derivative. I think the equation should read, (in this case), ## dG_i=dG_i '+ da_{ji} G_j ' ##. The author was trying to say that ## dG_i ## is not equal to ## dG_i ' ## , but it appeared he might have written down something that isn't correct.

4. Apr 7, 2016 #3
    It doesn't seem like the equation is a mistake because he substituted it into (4.84) to get the equation you wrote and (4.85).

I think it's just because ##a_{ji}=\delta_{ji}##.

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 12.44.06 pm.png

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  5. Apr 8, 2016 #4
    It seems like using ##a_{ji}dG_j'=dG_i'## I can prove that ##dG_i=dG_i'##, a contradiction.

Let ##G_{j1}'## and ##G_{j2}'## be the vector ##G## at time ##t=0## and ##t=dt## respectively, labelled using the body axes.

Then, ##dG_j'=G_{j2}'-G_{j1}'##.

##a_{ji}dG_j'=a_{ji}(G_{j2}'-G_{j1}')=G_{i2}-G_{i1}=dG_i##.

Thus, ##dG_i'=dG_i##, a contradiction.

What's wrong?

EDIT: I found the mistake. ##a_{ji}(G_{j2}'-G_{j1}')=G_{i2}-G_{i1}## is wrong.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  6. Apr 8, 2016 #5

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you are correct, and what he wrote is correct. (And yes, like you said, it can even be used to get the equation I wrote.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted