Relationship Between Acceleration on a ramp and Acceleration due to gravity

In summary: If the slope was much steeper, the acceleration would be much smaller.In summary, the equation for a slope that causes an acceleration is F=mgsin(angle).
ScienceSinger

Homework Statement

We performed a lab to find an experimental value of gravity. I used a ramp with a height of 0.08 m, and the ramp was 1 m long. The ramp made an angel of approximately 4.59 degrees with the horizontal. We used software to calculate velocity with respect to time and position with respect to time graphs. Using the formula for our position over time graph which was displayed on the graph as Ax^2+Bx+C, with an A value of 0.2236, which I have assumed for units to ad up is our acceleration value. Now, we need to use some kind of formula to find the relationship between a_ramp and g.

Homework Equations

x=x0+vit+at2
ma=mg
a=g/(sin(angle))
v=d/t
Einitial=Efinal

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that ma=mg would make a=g/(sin(angle)) but this is incorrect...
Our TA put up something on the board that looked like this:
a=g#
where # is supposedly the fraction of kinetic energy caused by linear instead of rotational motion,
but I have no idea why that is true. I even did the whole energy conservation equation, keeping in mind that vi =0, but I cannot derive any sort of equation to show that this whole a=g# thing is true. Any advice would be helpful; I feel I'm missing some key concept here and my TA refused to talk to me further to allow me to understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doc Al said:
Read up on inclined planes: Inclined Planes
Hi, could you explain why the formula appears to be F=mgsin(angle)? I don't understand from the reading why the sin(angle) is on that side of the equation... Is that just a formula that I should know or is my trigonometry wrong?

ScienceSinger said:

I thought that [...] would make a=g/(sin(angle)) but this is incorrect...
Hi SS. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Show the diagram you drew that led you to this equation.

If the slope was very gentle, this equation of yours would produce huge accelerations along the slope.

Last edited by a moderator:

First of all, it is important to note that the acceleration on a ramp is not the same as the acceleration due to gravity. The acceleration on a ramp, also known as the ramp's acceleration, is the acceleration of an object as it moves down the ramp. This is affected by factors such as the angle and length of the ramp, as well as any friction present.

On the other hand, the acceleration due to gravity, denoted as "g", is a constant value that represents the acceleration of an object due to the gravitational force of the Earth. This value is approximately 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth.

Now, to address the relationship between the two, we can use the equation ma=mg, where m is the mass of the object. This equation states that the force (ma) causing the ramp's acceleration is equal to the force (mg) of gravity acting on the object. This means that the ramp's acceleration is directly proportional to the acceleration due to gravity.

In terms of the formula your TA wrote on the board, a=g#, the "#" represents a dimensionless number that takes into account the effects of rotational motion on the ramp's acceleration. This means that the ramp's acceleration is not solely dependent on the acceleration due to gravity, but also on the rotational motion of the ramp itself.

In conclusion, the relationship between the ramp's acceleration and the acceleration due to gravity is that the ramp's acceleration is directly proportional to the acceleration due to gravity, but also takes into account the effects of rotational motion on the ramp.

What is the relationship between acceleration on a ramp and acceleration due to gravity?

The relationship between acceleration on a ramp and acceleration due to gravity is that they are both affected by the same force - gravity. The acceleration on a ramp is the result of an object being pulled down the ramp by the force of gravity, while acceleration due to gravity is the acceleration of an object falling towards the ground due to the force of gravity.

How does the angle of the ramp affect the acceleration?

The angle of the ramp affects the acceleration by changing the component of gravity that is acting on the object. The steeper the angle of the ramp, the greater the component of gravity pulling the object down the ramp, resulting in a higher acceleration. This is based on the formula for acceleration due to gravity, which includes the sine of the angle of the ramp.

Can the acceleration on a ramp be greater than the acceleration due to gravity?

Yes, the acceleration on a ramp can be greater than the acceleration due to gravity. This can occur when the angle of the ramp is steep enough to increase the component of gravity acting on the object. However, the acceleration due to gravity will always remain constant at 9.8 m/s², regardless of the angle of the ramp.

What factors can affect the relationship between acceleration on a ramp and acceleration due to gravity?

The main factor that affects the relationship between acceleration on a ramp and acceleration due to gravity is the angle of the ramp. Other factors that may also play a role include the mass and friction of the object on the ramp, as well as any external forces acting on the object.

Can the acceleration on a ramp be negative?

Yes, the acceleration on a ramp can be negative. This occurs when the object is moving up the ramp, in the opposite direction of the force of gravity. In this case, the acceleration will be negative because it is acting in the opposite direction of the positive direction typically used in calculations. However, the acceleration due to gravity will always remain positive, as it is a constant force acting downwards towards the ground.