Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between antenna gain and range

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    Im trying to expand the range of my wifi network, and Im not sure exactly what to expect from a +27 dbi antenna. As I understand it, this will cause the power density to increase by a factor of 2^9. Does that mean the range will increase by a factor of 2^9? or would it be more like sqrt(2^9) from an inverse square law? or something else entirely? If anyone knows the math behind this stuff, Id really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2011 #2
    ok, let me preface this by warning you all: I havent taken a math or physics class in over a decade. So I apologize in advance for any logical or notational inconsistancies.

w = power density
    G = initial gain
    G' = final gain
    P = power
    r = initial distance from antenna
    r' = final distance
    k = proportionality constant

from this equation:
    w=G*P*k / 4*pi*r^2

so if P, k, and W are constant...

G*p*k / 4*pi*r^2 = G'*p*k/4*pi*r'^2

therefore:

G'/ G = r'^2 / r^2

and

r * sqrt(G'/ G) = r'

so, as I understand it, after a gain increase of +27 dbi, and a distance increase by a factor of sqrt(2^9), there will be the same power density. Does this math make sense? Does this mean that the range of my wifi network will also increase by sqrt(2^9)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook