Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between differential and the operator

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1
    Is there some sort of relationship between the differential

[tex]dx[/tex]

and the differential operator which means to take the derivative [tex]d/dx[/tex]

if x is a dependent variable? My prof said that [tex] dx * d/dx = 1[/tex] but that doesn't seem to work out in the case I'm looking at, so I must be missing something.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

[itex]dx \frac{d}{dx}[/itex] is just an operator multiplied by a differential. If you apply it to a function f(x), it'll give the differential df, however. So you could call it the function differential operator, I suppose.

4. Mar 6, 2012 #3
    So then can you take [tex]dx = 1/(d/dx)[/tex]? As in the differential is one over the operator? Or does that not work? I was having trouble making that work out in one of my problems.

5. Mar 6, 2012 #4

Char. Limit

Gold Member

No, that wouldn't work. I really don't believe it's possible to say that dx d/dx = 1, anyway. If you're really trying to assign it a value, it would be just d, or a differential operator. That is, you're basically saying "the derivative operator with respect to a variable, multiplied by the differential of that variable, is the differential operator".

6. Mar 6, 2012 #5

chiro

Science Advisor

You might want to revert back to the limit definition for the derivative for understanding cases like this.

7. Mar 6, 2012 #6
    On a multivariable function, [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex] and [itex]\partial x[/itex] can be thought of as unit vectors. I am still not totally comfortable with the idea, but perhaps this is what your prof was getting at?

8. Mar 6, 2012 #7

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

have you had linear algebra? df is a field of (co)vectors, and dx is a field of standard basis covectors. In this basis, d/dx is the operator that sends f to its field of coefficients in terms of the basis dx. I.e. at every point p, df(p) = df/dx(p) dx.

I.e. at every point df/dx(p) is a number, and at every point df(p) is a covector.

At every point dx(p) is also a covector, and we have at every point, that the number df/dx(p) times the covector dx(p), equals the covector df(p).

so df/dx . dx = df, an equation that holds at every point p.

for instance if f(x) = x^2, then df(p) = 2p. dx(p) = df/dx(p) dx(p).

9. Mar 6, 2012 #8
    Your professor is wrong. [tex] dx * d/dx = d[/tex]. In words, the change [of something] per change in x times the change in x is the change [in the thing].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook