Relationship between magnetic field lines and magnetic field

In summary: However, a three-dimensional model should be able to account for the conservation of flux, and hence provide a more accurate depiction of the field.
a1234
Homework Statement
Show that the density of magnetic field lines can be used as a measure of the size of the magnetic field.
Relevant Equations
psi = BAcos(theta)
As stated in the problem, I want to demonstrate mathematically that field line density is directly related to the magnitude of B. How would I be able to do this, other than simply using the flux equation and showing that for a higher flux in the same area, the magnetic field must be rise accordingly. Or would this be sufficient?

Physics news on Phys.org
The density of flux lines in 3 dimensions is proportional to the magnetic field strength. Drawings that are two dimensional don't show the inverse square law properly that occurs from a magnetic pole, etc. I would need to think about exactly why a 3 dimensional model gives exactly what is needed for the conservation of flux, etc, but in any case it does.

Edit: I think it probably can be demonstrated by saying that the flux lines into any box are the same as the flux lines out of the box=if they go in, they must emerge, and by Gauss' law, they then obey ## \nabla \cdot B=0 ##, just like the magnetic field, but maybe someone else can comment on this.

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff
Charles Link said:
Edit: I think it probably can be demonstrated by saying that the flux lines into any box are the same as the flux lines out of the box=if they go in, they must emerge, and by Gauss' law, they then obey ## \nabla \cdot B=0 ##, just like the magnetic field, but maybe someone else can comment on this.
How can we show that the individual field lines obey Gauss' law? How would this be different from showing that Gauss' law is satisfied for the field?

a1234 said:
As stated in the problem, I want to demonstrate mathematically that field line density is directly related to the magnitude of B. How would I be able to do this, other than simply using the flux equation and showing that for a higher flux in the same area, the magnetic field must be rise accordingly. Or would this be sufficient?
It may help to start with the definition of a vector field line. If parametric curve ##\vec x(s)## is a field line, it obeys
$$\vec x'(s) = \vec B(\vec x).$$ Perhaps someone else can explain how to define field line density mathematically.

Likes vanhees71
I learnt physics using the centimetre-gram-second (cgs) system of units, where Gauss specified that 4 pi lines of force originate from a unit magnetic pole, and the magnetic flux density is expressed in lines per cm2. So I find it hard to put my heart into the question!

1. What is the relationship between magnetic field lines and magnetic field?

The magnetic field lines represent the direction and strength of the magnetic field. They are imaginary lines that show the path a magnetic object would take if placed in the field. The magnetic field itself is the force that acts on magnetic objects, such as a compass needle, and is created by the movement of electric charges.

2. How are magnetic field lines created?

Magnetic field lines are created by the movement of electric charges. In most cases, this movement is caused by the flow of electric current. The direction of the magnetic field lines is determined by the direction of the current flow.

3. What is the significance of the spacing between magnetic field lines?

The spacing between magnetic field lines represents the strength of the magnetic field. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the magnetic field is in that region. Conversely, the further apart the lines are, the weaker the magnetic field is.

4. Can magnetic field lines cross each other?

No, magnetic field lines cannot cross each other. This is because they represent the direction of the magnetic field, and if they were to cross, it would indicate two different directions for the magnetic field at the same point, which is not possible.

5. How can the direction of a magnetic field be determined using magnetic field lines?

The direction of a magnetic field can be determined by using the "right-hand rule". If you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines. This rule can also be used to determine the direction of a magnetic field created by a magnet, with the north pole being the direction of the magnetic field lines coming out of the magnet and the south pole being the direction of the magnetic field lines going into the magnet.