Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between magnetic field strength and voltage

1. Oct 22, 2014 #1
    So I'm really confused with the relationship between magnetic field strength and voltage. Say you have a battery (with a DC voltage) with 4 coils, when voltage increases, does magnetic field strength increase? Is there any law (i.e. Faraday's law) that supports this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 22, 2014 #3
    The magnetic field strength is given by B=nIl where B is the magnetic field, n is the number of turns per metre of the wire of length l metres that makes up the coil and I is the current flowing through the coil.

The current flowing through the coil is given by Ohm's Law I=V/R where V is the potential difference in volts between the ends of the wire of the coil and R is the resistance of the coil.

So yes, if all else stays the same, increasing the voltage will increase the current which will increase the magnetic field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook