Relationship between potential energy and force

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between potential energy, force, and work in 1D motion. It is mentioned that F can change depending on the position x if dU/dx also depends on x. However, when constraining motion to the x axis, the expression dW=-dU holds true everywhere, except in situations where d2U/dx2=0. The conversation also mentions that for a harmonic oscillator with potential energy U(x)=(1/2)kx^2, the relationship between force and position is exact, with no dependence on x.
Aaron Wong
Hi,
I wonder which steps of my following deduce are wrong
dU=-dW
dU=mg dh
dW=Fdx
thus, mgdh=-Fdx (dx=dh)
then, F=-mg which is a constant in most of situation
However, F does change in some situation.

I am confused about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sticking to 1D, if you have potential energy distribution U(x) so U is explicitly dependent of the position x ... then:
F = -dU/dx ... so you see F will depend on x if dU/dx depends on x.

Constraining motion to the x axis, the work done by force F is given by:
W = Fx so dW/dx = x.dF/dx + F (by the product rule) so dW = x.dF + F.dx and substituting above gives:
dW = x.dF - dU which gives a 2nd order DE in U.
Thus dW = -dU everywhere only in the situation where d2U/dx2 = 0 ...
ie. The expression you started with is a 1st order approximation only (expand U(x) as a power series and see.)

Notice that F=mg means that dU/dx = -mg and d2U/dx2 = 0 so the relation is exact, and you will see that dU/dx does not depend on x (see first sentence above).

Try for a harmonic oscillator ... ##U(x)=\frac{1}{2}kx^2 \implies F=?## ... here I have chosen U(x):U(0)=0 for you.

Last edited:

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. It is the energy that an object has the potential to convert into kinetic energy.

2. How is potential energy related to force?

Potential energy and force are directly related. An object with potential energy has the potential to move or change its position, and this potential is converted into force when the object is acted upon by an external force.

3. Can potential energy and force be converted into each other?

No, potential energy and force cannot be converted into each other. However, potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, which is then related to force through Newton's second law of motion (F=ma).

4. What is the formula for potential energy?

The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the ground.

5. How does potential energy affect an object's behavior?

Potential energy affects an object's behavior by determining how it will respond to external forces. The higher the potential energy of an object, the more force it can exert and the more work it can do.