1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship btw volume and temperature of an ideal gas

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The is a piston the is massless and moves with friction
    A) assuming that out gas is ideal, we will get v = constant T. What are your variables in this case?
    B) If you plot V vs T on a graph, what is the slop of your graph?
    C) What is the number of moles for this gas?
    D) Using the numbers of moles and slope, determine pressure.

2. Relevant equations
    PV = nRT???

3. The attempt at a solution
    Once again, this is from my physics TA and I have no clue how to approach it. The only thing I could think of is that he is implying that we are supposed to use PV = nRT, since then v is directly proportionate to T. I am not sure how to use this to determine the number of moles, unless I am supposed to assume 1?
    I guess my question is how would you approach this? I am not really sure what it is asking for.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The way you have worded things is rather confusing. For example,

"The is a piston the is massless and moves with friction"​

makes very little sense.

Okay, I understand that there is some gas inside a piston. And there is friction? Or did you mean to say frictionless?

I think you'll have to explain/write the problem more carefully, and proofread the spelling and grammar. If you spot errors after submitting a post, please edit it with corrections.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook