Relationship btw volume and temperature of an ideal gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
n.hirsch1
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The is a piston the is massless and moves with friction
A) assuming that out gas is ideal, we will get v = constant T. What are your variables in this case?
B) If you plot V vs T on a graph, what is the slop of your graph?
C) What is the number of moles for this gas?
D) Using the numbers of moles and slope, determine pressure.


Homework Equations


PV = nRT?


The Attempt at a Solution


Once again, this is from my physics TA and I have no clue how to approach it. The only thing I could think of is that he is implying that we are supposed to use PV = nRT, since then v is directly proportionate to T. I am not sure how to use this to determine the number of moles, unless I am supposed to assume 1?
I guess my question is how would you approach this? I am not really sure what it is asking for.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
n.hirsch1 said:

Homework Statement


The is a piston the is massless and moves with friction
A) assuming that out gas is ideal, we will get v = constant T. What are your variables in this case?
B) If you plot V vs T on a graph, what is the slop of your graph?
C) What is the number of moles for this gas?
D) Using the numbers of moles and slope, determine pressure.
The way you have worded things is rather confusing. For example,

"The is a piston the is massless and moves with friction"​

makes very little sense.

Okay, I understand that there is some gas inside a piston. And there is friction? Or did you mean to say frictionless?

I think you'll have to explain/write the problem more carefully, and proofread the spelling and grammar. If you spot errors after submitting a post, please edit it with corrections.