1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationships between Fourier coefficients

1. Dec 23, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have ## f(t) = \sum\limits^{\infty}_0 a_{n} e^{2 \pi i n t} ## [1]
    and ## g(t) = \sum\limits^{\infty}_0 b_{n} e^{ \pi i n t} ## [2]

I want to show that ##b_n = a _{2n} ##

2. Relevant equations

see above.

3. The attempt at a solution

So obviously you want to use the orthogonality to obtain the fourier coeffients, integrating the LHS multiplied by the negative exponential over the period. Period in [1] is ##2\pi## and the period in [2] is ##\pi ##.

So I have:

from [1]: ##\int^{2 \pi } _{0} f(t) e^{- 2 \pi i n t} dt= a_{n} ##

and

from [2]: ##\int^{\pi } _{0} g(t) e^{- \pi i n t} dt = b_{n} ##

I'm unsure what to do next,
    Many thanks in advance.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2016 #2

Ssnow

Gold Member

Hi, how is possible that the same function ##f## in one case has period ##2\pi## and in the other case ##\pi##?

4. Dec 23, 2016 #3
    edited. ta. typo.

5. Dec 23, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have ##\pi##s in the exponentials you cannot have them in the integration limits. Anyway, in the integrations the exponents should go from 0 to ##2 \pi n##, so:
    $$ (1) \; a_n = c_a \int_0^1 f(t) e^{-2 \pi i n t} \, dt\\
    (2) \; b_n = c_b \int_0^2 f(t) e^{-i \pi n t} \, dt
    $$
    Here, ##c_a## and ##c_b## are some appropriate constants.

(1) describes a function having period 1, while (2) describes a function having period 2; but of course, 2 periods of length 1 make up 1 period of length 2.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  6. Dec 24, 2016 #5

Ssnow

Gold Member

Hi, as @Ray Vickson noted sometimes the definition of the fourier transform is with the factor ##2\pi## and other times is with ##\pi##, changing variable it is possible to pass from one notation to another ...

Ssnow

7. Dec 24, 2016 #6
    okay thanks, that's clarified up some basics
    so ##c_a = 1 ##, c_{b} = 1/2##
    but i sitll don't know what to do, i want to show it explicitly.

8. Dec 24, 2016 #7
    e.g so I send ##n## to ##2n## in [2] and then I need to look at how my integration limits are affected by this.
    How would I go about this?
    Can I do this - does that make sense to do?

9. Dec 24, 2016 #8

Ssnow

Gold Member

You must start write what is ##b_{2n}## that is ##=c_{b}\int_{0}^{2}f(t)e^{-i\pi 2nt}dt## and by substitutions try to write the integral in the form of ##a_{n}## ...

10. Dec 24, 2016 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note that in exponential form the Fourier series runs from ##n = -\infty## to ##n = +\infty##, not just from ##0## to ##\infty##. So anyway, we have
    $$0 = b_0 - a_0 + b_1 e^{i \pi t} + (b_2-a_1) e^{i \pi 2 t} + \cdots + \text{similar terms in } n < 0.$$
    In other words, ##\sum_n c_n e^{i \pi n t} \equiv 0##, where ##c_n = b_n## for odd ##n## and ##c_{2m} = b_{2m} - a_m## for ##n = 2m## even.

11. Dec 24, 2016 #10
    So a substitution like ## t* = t/2 ## would fix the limits to ##1## and ##0## as in ##a_{n}##, however I want to keep the exponent with a ##2 \pi ## factor don't I? (rather than ##\pi## ? )

12. Dec 27, 2016 #11

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are ƒ(t) and g(t) related to each other in some fashion?

13. Dec 28, 2016 #12
    should the second one be ##c_b \int_0^2 g(t) e^{-i \pi n t} \, dt ## ?? where does ## f(t) ## come from here?

14. Dec 28, 2016 #13
    okay thanks that's making some sense, so you have done that ##g(t)-f(t)=0##, and equated coefficients, however, I do not understand why this is ##0##...

many thanks

15. Dec 28, 2016 #14

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at my post #4, where you see your original question echoed in a panel along with my response. You will see that originally you had
    $$ (1) \; f(t) = \sum_{0}^{\infty} a_{n} e^{2 \pi i n t} \\
    (2) \; f(t) = \sum_{0}^{\infty} b_{n} e^{ \pi i n t}
    $$
    When did the second ##f(t)## become a ##g(t)##?

It is obvious that if ##f## and ##g## are just two unrelated functions there cannot be any predictable relationship between the ##a_{2n}## and ##b_n##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted