1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative error problem in vector calculus gradient intro

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    (a) Write a formula for the number in terms of the perimeter L and the area A of a circle.

(b) Write the differential for your answer in part (a).

(c) Suppose that L and A are determined experimentally. Write the resulting relative error in using your answer in part (b).

I've tried several different values for part c, but can't seem to find a convincing answer. I know that the equation begins with dpi/pi and each part has some value with a coefficient of dL/L + dA/A
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I can think of two approaches:

1. Suppose experimenting introduces measurement error into each of L and A. Let L* = L + dL and A* = A + dA be the measured quantities of each of L and A respectively (dL and dA are the absolute errors; dL/L and dA/A are the relative errors). Substitute into dpi(A*,L*)/pi(A*,L*).

2. Write dpi = (L^2/2A)dL/L + (L^2/4A)dA/A; divide through by pi = L^2/4A to obtain dpi/pi.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  4. Feb 19, 2008 #3
    I made a boo boo and seem to have done something wrong on the webassign program. But thank you for the help. I understand the concept a little better now.
  5. Feb 20, 2008 #4
    Haha, I have the same homework problem on webassign right now. I was a little lost as well, crazy that I found this here.
  6. Feb 20, 2008 #5
    Turns out that the problem is bugged. Even the teacher couldn't get the right answer.
  7. Feb 20, 2008 #6
    Do you also go to UA or is this a common vector calc problem that happened to be assigned at nearly the same exact time lol?
  8. Feb 12, 2009 #7
    So what is the correct answer to this question ? I am also doing the same problem and didn't get the answer
  9. Feb 9, 2012 #8
    I go to UA and this problem gave me so much grief. However, I found the right answer!
    so d(pi)/pi is the same as taking the differential function and dividing by the original:
    Simplify, and this gives you:

Hope no one else has to struggle like I did!
  10. Feb 9, 2012 #9
    After coming down to my last submission you're post was extremely helpful! Also a UA student here.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?