Relative Extension of Collagen Fiber: %0.8

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
edorf
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
1. Collagen fiber is stressed with 12 N force. The cross-sectional area of the fiber is 3 mm2, its coefficient of elasticity is 500 MPa. Give the percentage of relative extension.

I think i have found the correct equation but i can't seem to find the rigth answer which is suposed to be 0.8% but i always end up with 8*10^-4..

Homework Equations



F/A=E Δl/l

The Attempt at a Solution



12N/(0,003m^2 * 5*10^6 Pa)

and then I get a result of 8*10^-4, and I am stuck.. I believe there is something fundamental I have missed but I can't seem to find it.. Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi edorf! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
edorf said:
The cross-sectional area of the fiber is 3 mm2, its coefficient of elasticity is 500 MPa. Give the percentage of relative extension.
…
12N/(0,003m^2 * 5*10^6 Pa)

erm … 3 mm2 isn't .003 m2, is it? :redface:

(and you left the 00 out of 500)
 
ahhhhh...! Thank you so much!:D I guess that's what happends when you try to solve problems for 8h straight :P