Relative motion of two cars (velocity and acceleration)

In summary, two cars, A and B, are traveling on adjacent roads. Car A has a velocity of 70 mi/h in the positive y direction and zero acceleration. Car B is traveling along a circular path with a radius of 0.7 mi and has a velocity of 50 mi/h at an angle of 30 degrees right of vertical. Car B has an acceleration of 1100 mi/h^2. To find the relative velocity and acceleration of car B with respect to car A, the velocity and acceleration of each car were written in their own inertial frames in vector form. The relative velocity was found by subtracting the velocity of car A from the velocity of car B. For the relative acceleration, it is important
Chris T.

Homework Statement

Cars A and B are traveling on adjacent roads. Car A travels at a speed of 70 mi/h in the positive y direction, and its acceleration is zero. Car B travels along a circular path of radius 0.7 mi, and has a velocity of 50 mi/h at an angle of 30 degrees right of vertical. Car B has an acceleration of 1100 mi/h^2. Find the relative velocity and acceleration of car B with respect to Car A.

Homework Equations

v(B wrt A) = v(B) - v(A) (vector velocities)
a(B wrt A) = a(B) - a(B) (vector accelerations)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by writing the velocity of both A and B in their own inertial frames, in vector form (cartesian coordinates). Car A has velocity 0i+70j, and Car B has velocity 50sin(30)i+50cos(30)j. By subtracting the velocity of A from the velocity of B, I got the correct magnitude and direction of the relative velocity that is being asked for. I am now stuck looking at how to approach the relative acceleration portion of the question. Any help is greatly appreciated?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chris T. said:
I am now stuck looking at how to approach the relative acceleration portion of the question. Any help is greatly appreciated?

Its kind of hard to help with no solution of yours to see where you're going wrong. However remember that car b is going in a circular motion and the acceleration will always be directed towards the centre of the circle (perpendicular to its direction of motion along the curve). Perhaps you didn't do this and used wrong directions for the acceleration vector of car b.

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion refers to the motion of an object with respect to another object or frame of reference. In the context of two cars, it is the motion of one car with respect to the other car.

2. How is velocity calculated in relative motion?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement of one car with respect to the other by the time it takes for the motion to occur. This can be represented by the equation v = (x2 - x1)/t, where x2 is the final position of the car and x1 is the initial position, and t is the time taken.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of two cars in relative motion?

The acceleration of two cars in relative motion can be affected by the distance between the cars, the initial velocities of the cars, and any external forces acting on the cars such as friction or air resistance.

4. How does the direction of motion affect relative velocity?

The direction of motion affects relative velocity by changing the sign of the velocity value. For example, if two cars are moving in the same direction, their relative velocity will be positive. But if they are moving in opposite directions, their relative velocity will be negative.

5. Can relative acceleration be negative?

Yes, relative acceleration can be negative. This would occur if the two cars are slowing down or decelerating with respect to each other. It can also occur if one car is accelerating and the other is decelerating, resulting in a change in their relative velocity.