Relative Velocity of a Passenger Hitting the Dashboard in a Car Crash

In summary, the equation for "Relative Velocity" is used to calculate the velocity of something after it has collided with something else. The equation is used in a frame of reference where the something else has an initial and final velocity.
brochesspro
Homework Statement
Given below.
Relevant Equations
"SUVAT" Equations
Equation for "Relative Velocity"
1636886044252.png

Where exactly have I gone wrong? I think it is the part where I assume that the person gains the deceleration of the car, but I have no other way to proceed in this case. Also please only use the equations that I have posted below, and it would help if you would not use the equation for "Relative Velocity" but if it is not possible any other way then please help yourself. But do not go beyond that scope. I thank you for your guidance.
1636885748130.png

1636885785590.png

Physics news on Phys.org
brochesspro said:
Homework Statement:: Given below.
Relevant Equations:: "SUVAT" Equations
Equation for "Relative Velocity"

View attachment 292263
Where exactly have I gone wrong? I think it is the part where I assume that the person gains the deceleration of the car, but I have no other way to proceed in this case. Also please only use the equations that I have posted below, and it would help if you would not use the equation for "Relative Velocity" but if it is not possible any other way then please help yourself. But do not go beyond that scope. I thank you for your guidance.
View attachment 292261
View attachment 292262
In your ##v^2-v_0^2=## equation, those are initial and final velocities of something that has an acceleration a and travels a distance s over the interval of interest. What is the something you are considering here? Does it satisfy those conditions?

It really is much simpler using relative velocities, specifically, the frame of reference of the passenger. From her perspective, the car accelerates towards her and covers 0.6m.

I think the something is the passenger. The passenger gains the acceleration of the car when it collides. But I am sure that there is something wrong with this approach because of the concept of inertia. The passenger will retain the initial velocity of the car just before the moment it collided and as it collides. I will do another approach I thought of and in the mean time, please correct me if anything is wrong.

1636889769977.png

That doesn't look right. You've assumed that the passenger travels ##0.6m##, but the car is also moving after the collision. So, ##0.6m## would only be correct if the car stopped immediately with almost infinite deceleration.

PeroK said:
That doesn't look right. You've assumed that the passenger travels ##0.6m##, but the car is also moving after the collision. So, ##0.6m## would only be correct if the car stopped immediately with almost infinite deceleration.
So what do you think I should do? I am confused what I should do in each frame of reference.

brochesspro said:
So what do you think I should do?
There are two approaches.

1) Set up separate equations for the position and velocity of the passenger and the position and velocity of the car. Calculate when the positions coincide and calculate the relative speed from that.

2) Be a bit cleverer and analyse the problem from a reference frame moving at the initial velocity of the car before the collision.

• Informative
Likes brochesspro and jbriggs444
I shall try it.

1636902851744.png

1636902874119.png

That looks correct for the time until the passenger hits the dashboard.

I see. Thank you.

brochesspro said:
I see. Thank you.
Can you finish it off from there?

1636908450626.png

Likes PeroK
So this is the full solution, right?

Never mind, thank you very much.

brochesspro said:
So this is the full solution, right?
That's more than enough! You got there in the end.

Note that if we take the second approach above, in a frame moving at initial speed of the car the passenger remains at rest and the dashboard starts at rest and accelerates towards the passenger at ##a##. It's speed after the displacement ##s = 0.6m## is:$$v^2 = 2as = 240 m^2/s^2$$Hence $$v = \sqrt{240} m/s$$As you got after considerably more calculations!

PeroK said:
That's more than enough! You got there in the end.

Note that if we take the second approach above, in a frame moving at initial speed of the car the passenger remains at rest and the dashboard starts at rest and accelerates towards the passenger at ##a##. It's speed after the displacement ##s = 0.6m## is:$$v^2 = 2as = 240 m^2/s^2$$Hence $$v = \sqrt{240} m/s$$As you got after considerably more calculations!
There is also that the vehicle comes to rest before the crash between the person and the dashboard. I did the mathematics below, although I had to see the solution in the end. The final conclusion is below, the solution is not complete with just the previous image. But thanks a lot anyways.
1636909763142.png

Likes jbriggs444 and PeroK
brochesspro said:
There is also that the vehicle comes to rest before the crash between the person and the dashboard. I did the mathematics below, although I had to see the solution in the end. The final conclusion is below, the solution is not complete with just the previous image. But thanks a lot anyways.
View attachment 292288
That's a good point. I assumed the question wasn't that tricky!

1. What is relative velocity in a car crash?

Relative velocity in a car crash refers to the speed and direction of an object (such as a passenger) in relation to another object (such as the dashboard) during a collision. It takes into account the velocities of both objects and their direction of movement.

2. How does relative velocity affect a passenger hitting the dashboard in a car crash?

The relative velocity of a passenger hitting the dashboard in a car crash determines the force of impact and potential injuries. A higher relative velocity means a greater force of impact, which can result in more severe injuries.

3. Can relative velocity be reduced in a car crash?

Yes, relative velocity can be reduced in a car crash by decreasing the speed of the car or increasing the distance between the passenger and the dashboard. This can be achieved through proper seatbelt usage, airbags, and other safety measures.

4. How is relative velocity calculated in a car crash?

Relative velocity in a car crash is calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. This formula takes into account the initial velocity of the car and the acceleration caused by the collision.

5. What other factors besides relative velocity can affect the severity of a passenger hitting the dashboard in a car crash?

Other factors that can affect the severity of a passenger hitting the dashboard in a car crash include the weight and size of the passenger, the design and structure of the dashboard, and the use of safety features such as airbags and seatbelts. The angle and direction of impact can also play a role in the force of impact and potential injuries.