Relative Velocity Problem - find the angle

In summary, the plane should fly in a direction that is 28 degrees west of north to acquire the velocity of the wind.
jtw2e
Relative Velocity Problem -- find the angle

Homework Statement

An airplane has a cruising speed (speed of plane with respect to the air) of 547 mph. The wind is blowing at 84 mph 40° north of east. The plane needs to fly from Geordi to Data, which is 982 miles at 28° west of north.

Part A: What direction should the plane head to fly straight from Geordi to Data? (° W of N).

Part B: How long does it take for the plane to fly from Geordi to Data? (hours)

Homework Equations

Law of sines?

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28413236@N03/5443668917/
5443668917_0148c5ab5e.jpg

Based on the figure I have made, which is probably incorrect if any pattern can be drawn from the previous 6 hours of failure:

I tried to use law of sines to find alpha:
84/sin(α) = 547/sin(50)

Using the inverse sine I get an angle of 6.76° for α. (This makes no sense as we're given that the direction from Geordi City to Data City is 28 degrees West of North. What is going on here?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I had a similar problem to this. I came across this website and it helped me through it.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/airpw3.html#c2

You can click on "Details about calculation" and it will give a little more explanation. Then you can click "More detail on calculation" and it gives you another picture and a couple equations.

At first I wasn't sure where the equations came from. But if you sit there and think about what they are saying it makes sense.

Sorry I can't be more help, I've having trouble with the rest of my homework lol.

white_is said:
I had a similar problem to this. I came across this website and it helped me through it.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/airpw3.html#c2

You can click on "Details about calculation" and it will give a little more explanation. Then you can click "More detail on calculation" and it gives you another picture and a couple equations.

At first I wasn't sure where the equations came from. But if you sit there and think about what they are saying it makes sense.

Sorry I can't be more help, I've having trouble with the rest of my homework lol.

Thanks, what they're saying does make sense. My problem still is illusive to me.

You know alpha, it is the direction of Data from Georgi with respect to North. The resultant velocity is the vector sum of the aeroplane velocity with respect to air, and the velocity of wind. You get a triangle with two sides known, and one angle also known (50+28) apply the Sine Law to get x, and from that beta, the direction of the plane with respect to North.

ehild

Attachments

• aeroplane.JPG
    aeroplane.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 838

the plane will acquire the velocity of the wind too. wind would change its path. so just think how can you remove the effect of wind

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and their direction of movement.

2. How do you calculate relative velocity?

To calculate relative velocity, you first need to determine the velocities of both objects. Then, you can use vector addition or the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the relative velocity. The direction can be found using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to a fixed point, while relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. Absolute velocity remains constant, while relative velocity can change depending on the motion of both objects.

4. How does relative velocity affect collisions?

Relative velocity plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of collisions. The relative velocity of two objects before a collision will determine the magnitude and direction of the force exerted on each object, which can result in changes in their velocities after the collision.

5. What is the angle in a relative velocity problem?

The angle in a relative velocity problem is the direction of relative motion between two objects. It is typically measured in degrees or radians and can be found using trigonometric functions such as tangent or inverse tangent.