Relative Velocity Problem - Finding an angle of a boat going down a river

In summary: So the boat's speed relative to the river would be 4 m/s - 2 m/s = 2 m/s. So the boat is traveling at 2 m/s in the direction of 11.3 degrees.
Lavalamp22

Homework Statement

A boat is capable of a constant speed of 4 m/s in a river that is flowing at 2 m/s. If the captain wishes to land 10m downriver while crossing a 50m river, then at what angle should the boat be aimed?

Homework Equations

[/PLAIN]
Relative Velocity Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

He went over this problem after handing our tests back, but this was the last question and he was rushing as class was almost over. This is the information I have:

B=Boat, S=Shore, R=River

He found θ by taking tan^-1(10/50) and ended up getting 11.3°. Then he went on to find the x and y components. For the x component, I have written down: V(B/S)x = -V(B/R)x + V(R/S)x -> V(B/S) sin11.3° = -4sinΩ + 2. For the y-component, I have written: V(B/S)y = V(B/R)y + V(R/S)y -> V(B/S) cos 11.3° = 4cosΩ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lavalamp22 said:

Homework Statement

A boat is capable of a constant speed of 4 m/s in a river that is flowing at 2 m/s. If the captain wishes to land 10m downriver while crossing a 50m river, then at what angle should the boat be aimed?

I'm not sure what is meant by constant speed of 4m/s. Is it in still water or upstream or dowstream or at any certain angle.

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
I'm not sure what is meant by constant speed of 4m/s. Is it in still water or upstream or dowstream or at any certain angle.

This was the exact wording on the test, unfortunately. The way he was explaining it, it seems like the boat was going against the river. So the boat would be going in a westward motion, while the river would be flowing eastward, or vice versa, while the boat was also going "downriver," so I guess that means it is going down 50m and across 10m. Though, there would be no way for us to know this with the information given.

Last edited:
Would love if anyone could help me figure out this problem, thanks.

Would probably be best to ask your teacher then, but I think it's meant that the boat's speed is 4 m/s with respect to the ground because there's no other way to determine at what direction the velocity is without stating the exact reference frame. And then the river is also flowing at 2 m/s with respect to the ground.

What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to another object or frame of reference. It takes into account the motion of both objects and is used to calculate the overall velocity of one object in relation to the other.

How do you calculate relative velocity?

To calculate relative velocity, you must first determine the velocities of both objects in the same frame of reference. Then, you can use vector addition to find the relative velocity by adding the two velocities together. This will give you the magnitude and direction of the relative velocity.

What is the formula for finding the angle of a boat going down a river?

The formula for finding the angle of a boat going down a river is given by tanθ = (VR/VW), where θ is the angle, VR is the velocity of the boat relative to the river, and VW is the velocity of the river.

How does the angle of the boat change if the river's velocity changes?

If the velocity of the river changes, the angle of the boat will also change. This is because the ratio of the boat's velocity to the river's velocity will change, resulting in a different angle. A faster river velocity will result in a smaller angle, while a slower river velocity will result in a larger angle.

Can the angle of the boat be negative?

Yes, the angle of the boat can be negative. This would indicate that the boat is traveling in the opposite direction of the river's flow. A positive angle indicates that the boat is traveling in the same direction as the river's flow.