Relatively Prime Polynomials in Extension Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if two polynomials are relatively prime in one field, they are also relatively prime in an extension of that field. The conversation touches on using a proof by contradiction, considering all irreducible factors in the extension field, and the relationship between field automorphisms and roots of polynomials. Ultimately, it is determined that the proof can be done using Euclid's algorithm and that the implication works both ways between the two fields.
e(ho0n3
Homework Statement
Recall that two polynomials f(x) and g(x) from F[x] are said to be relatively prime if there is no polynomial of positive degree in F[x] that divides both f(x) and g(x). Show that if f(x) and g(x) are relatively prime in F[x], they are relatively prime in K[x], where K is an extension of F.

The attempt at a solution
I'm guessing this will be a proof by contradiction where the contradiction will be that f(x) and g(x) are not relatively prime in F[x]:

Let p(x) be an irreducible factor of the divisor of f(x) and g(x) in K[x]. How can I show that p(x) divides f(x) and g(x) in F[x]?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't do what you ask for in your last sentence: p(x) isn't even necessarily in F[x]. But the question doesn't ask you to show that.

Is there another way of getting a contradiction? I can't think of anything else.

Why have you stopped what you're doing? The only thing wrong was your assumption that any factor p(x) in K[x] must be in F[x].

Consider an example if it helps you. E.g. x^2+1 and x^4-1 over Q[x]. These are not relatively prime, but you don't prove that by considering *one* irreducible linear factor in C[x], since x-i and x+i are not in Q[x].

I got the impression that my whole approach was wrong.

So are you saying I have to consider all the irreducible factors in K[x]? In what way? Perhaps the product of some of the irreducible linear factors of the divisor is a member of F[x], e.g. (x - i)(x + i) = x2 + 1 in your example?

Let's suppose that I have a polynomial f(x) with rational coefficients. And suppose that, passing to the complex numbers, I know x-i is a root of f. What other linear factor must be a root of f(x)?

What do you know about things like Aut(K:F)? The field automorphisms of K that fix F. Such as complex conjugation in Aut(C:Q).

n_bourbaki said:
Let's suppose that I have a polynomial f(x) with rational coefficients. And suppose that, passing to the complex numbers, I know x-i is a root of f. What other linear factor must be a root of f(x)?
I'm guessing x + i. I don't really know. To find another linear factor I would try to find a zero of f(x)/(x - i).

What do you know about things like Aut(K:F)? The field automorphisms of K that fix F. Such as complex conjugation in Aut(C:Q).
I've never seen that notation before.

My problem is from a chapter on extension and splitting fields.

Yes, that makes sense - you can assume that K is a splitting field for f(x).

You do know the first part: complex roots of a real polynomial occur in complex conjugate pairs.

n_bourbaki said:
You do know the first part: complex roots of a real polynomial occur in complex conjugate pairs.
That's an interesting fact. So in the case of Q and C, the contradiction works. But in general? Does p(x) have a conjugate?

I was told that since f(x) and g(x) are relatively prime in F[x], then there are s(x) and t(x) in F[x] with f(x)s(x) + g(x)t(x) = 1. This equation is also valid in K[x] and this supposedly implies that f(x) and g(x) are relatively prime in K[x]. I don't understand this implication. Why is this?

It's just euclid's algorithm. Just think of Z rather than a polynomial algebra.

You can do it with a contradiction for any extension. But you don't need to.

Does f(x)s(x) + g(x)t(x) = 1 imply that f(x) and g(x) are relatively prime? Isn't it the other way around?

It is exactly the same as it is for the integers. You should be able to answer your own question.

1. What are relatively prime polynomials in extension fields?

Relatively prime polynomials in extension fields are polynomials that do not share any common factors in a given field extension. This means that they cannot be factored into smaller polynomials in that field.

2. How are relatively prime polynomials in extension fields useful?

Relatively prime polynomials in extension fields are useful in various areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, number theory, and cryptography. They are used to construct finite fields and in the study of algebraic extensions.

3. How can we determine if two polynomials are relatively prime in an extension field?

In order to determine if two polynomials are relatively prime in an extension field, we can use the Euclidean algorithm. This algorithm allows us to find the greatest common divisor of two polynomials, and if the GCD is equal to 1, then the polynomials are relatively prime.

4. Can two polynomials be relatively prime in one extension field, but not in another?

Yes, it is possible for two polynomials to be relatively prime in one extension field, but not in another. This is because the field extension can change the underlying structure and relationships between polynomials.

5. Are relatively prime polynomials unique in an extension field?

No, there can be multiple pairs of relatively prime polynomials in an extension field. For example, in the field of real numbers, both (x+1) and (x+2) are relatively prime, as well as (x+1) and (x^2+1). However, there are also cases where there is only one pair of relatively prime polynomials in a given field extension.