Relativistic kinetic energy and proton collisions

In summary, the minimum proton kinetic energy required to produce an antiproton in the reaction P+P→P+P+P+P¯ for protons incident on equal and opposite momenta is 1.5*10^-10 J and for stationary isolated protons is 9.02*10^-10 J. This solution was found using energy-momentum four-vectors and the Lorentz invariant dot product.
Vuldoraq
[SOLVED] Relativistic kinetic energy and proton collisions

Homework Statement

Find the minimum proton kinetic energy required to produce an
antiproton in the reaction

[tex]P+P\rightarrow P+P+P+\overline{P}[/tex]

for protons:

(a) Incident on protons of equal and opposite momentum,

(b) Incident on stationary isolated protons.

Homework Equations

[tex]K=(\gamma-1)mc^{2}[/tex]
[tex]E=\gamma mc^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a) equal and opposite momentum would give,

[tex]2(\gamma mc^{2}=4mc^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\gamma=2[/tex]
[tex]v^{2}=(3/4)c^{2}[/tex]

So,

[tex]K=1.5*10^{-10} J[/tex]

For part (b) assuming only one proton has all the kinetic energy required to create a proton anti-proton pair would give,

[tex](\gamma mc^{2}=4mc^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\gamma=4[/tex]
[tex]v^{2}=(15/16)c^{2}[/tex]

So,

[tex]K=4.5*10^{-10} J[/tex]

Please can anyone tell me if I hae gone wrong somewhere, I'm new to all this relativistic stuff.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vuldoraq said:
For part (a) equal and opposite momentum would give,

[tex]2(\gamma mc^{2}=4mc^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\gamma=2[/tex]
[tex]v^{2}=(3/4)c^{2}[/tex]

So,

[tex]K=1.5*10^{-10} J[/tex]
Looks good to me :approve:
Vuldoraq said:
For part (b) assuming only one proton has all the kinetic energy required to create a proton anti-proton pair would give,

[tex](\gamma mc^{2}=4mc^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\gamma=4[/tex]
[tex]v^{2}=(15/16)c^{2}[/tex]

So,

[tex]K=4.5*10^{-10} J[/tex]
This is not quite correct. You need to be careful here, you have not considered conservation of momentum. Note that in the previous question you have assumed that all the decay products are produced at rest, which is plausible and satisfies conservation of momentum since the two protons were collided with equal energies in opposite directions.

However in this case, a proton is colliding with a stationary proton and therefore to satisfy conservation of momentum, the centre of mass of the decay products must have some non-zero velocity. That is, the decay products must have some kinetic energy.

Part (b) can be solved quite simply using energy-momentum four-vectors, have you met four-vectors before?

Hello Hootenanny,

Thanks for the pointer, now that i look at it that was a silly error to make:blushing:.

As for four vectors, I had not studied them yet, so I have done a little research, although I still don't really understand the principle.

Here is my attempt,

The four-momentum vector before the collision is [tex][P_{p},(E_{p}+m_{p}c^{2})/c][/tex]
and the lorentz invariant dot product is,

[tex]P.P=(E_{p}+m_{p}c^{2})^{2}/c^{2}-p^{2}[/tex]

The four momentum vector evaluted at the centre of momentum after the collision is

[tex]p^{'}=(0,4m_{p}c)[/tex]

Giving [tex]p^{'}.p^{'}=16m_{p}c^{2}[/tex]

Now equating the two dot products gives,

[tex](E_{p}+m_{p}c^{2})^{2}/c^{2}-p^{2}=16m_{2}c^{2}[/tex]

[tex](E_{p}^{2}+2m_{p}E_{p}c^{2}+m_{p}^{2}c^{4})/c^{2}-(E_{p}^{2}-m_{p}^{2}c^{4})/c^{2}=16m_{p}c^{2}[/tex]

[tex]2m_{p}E_{p}+2m_{p}^{2}c^{2}=16m_{p}c^{2}[/tex]

So,

[tex]E_{p}=7m_{p}c^{2}[/tex]

Giving a total proton energy of [tex]1.05*10^{-9}J[/tex]

Since the kinetic energy is [tex]K=E_{p}-m_{p}c^{2}[/tex] we have,

[tex]K=9.02*10^{-10}J[/tex]

Does this look better?

Vuldoraq said:
Hello Hootenanny,

Thanks for the pointer, now that i look at it that was a silly error to make:blushing:.

As for four vectors, I had not studied them yet, so I have done a little research, although I still don't really understand the principle.

Here is my attempt,

The four-momentum vector before the collision is [tex][P_{p},(E_{p}+m_{p}c^{2})/c][/tex]
and the lorentz invariant dot product is,

[tex]P.P=(E_{p}+m_{p}c^{2})^{2}/c^{2}-p^{2}[/tex]

The four momentum vector evaluted at the centre of momentum after the collision is

[tex]p^{'}=(0,4m_{p}c)[/tex]

Giving [tex]p^{'}.p^{'}=16m_{p}c^{2}[/tex]

Now equating the two dot products gives,

[tex](E_{p}+m_{p}c^{2})^{2}/c^{2}-p^{2}=16m_{2}c^{2}[/tex]

[tex](E_{p}^{2}+2m_{p}E_{p}c^{2}+m_{p}^{2}c^{4})/c^{2}-(E_{p}^{2}-m_{p}^{2}c^{4})/c^{2}=16m_{p}c^{2}[/tex]

[tex]2m_{p}E_{p}+2m_{p}^{2}c^{2}=16m_{p}c^{2}[/tex]

So,

[tex]E_{p}=7m_{p}c^{2}[/tex]

Giving a total proton energy of [tex]1.05*10^{-9}J[/tex]

Since the kinetic energy is [tex]K=E_{p}-m_{p}c^{2}[/tex] we have,

[tex]K=9.02*10^{-10}J[/tex]

Does this look better?
Hey Vuldoraq,

Looks a lot better to me :approve:. I'm impressed that you have managed to work through this problem using four-vectors if you haven't met them before.

Hey again,

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. :smile:. When I get stuck on these problems I find it almost impossible to see where I have gone wrong.

Vuldoraq

1. What is relativistic kinetic energy?

Relativistic kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion at high speeds relative to an observer. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, which describes how objects behave at velocities close to the speed of light.

2. How is relativistic kinetic energy calculated?

The equation for relativistic kinetic energy is E = (γ - 1)mc^2, where γ is the Lorentz factor, m is the mass of the object, and c is the speed of light. This formula takes into account the increase in an object's mass at high speeds.

3. What is the significance of proton collisions in relation to relativistic kinetic energy?

Proton collisions involve the collision of two protons at high speeds, often in particle accelerators. These collisions can produce high levels of relativistic kinetic energy, allowing scientists to study the behavior of particles and the fundamental forces that govern them.

4. How do scientists use relativistic kinetic energy in proton collisions?

In proton collisions, scientists use the energy of the particles to create new particles or study the behavior of existing ones. By controlling the energy of the particles, scientists can manipulate the collisions and observe the resulting reactions and particles produced.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding relativistic kinetic energy and proton collisions?

Understanding relativistic kinetic energy and proton collisions is crucial in many fields, such as particle physics, nuclear energy, and medical imaging. It also plays a role in technologies such as particle accelerators, MRI machines, and nuclear reactors. Additionally, studying these concepts can lead to a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the structure of matter.