Relativistic kinetic energy and momentum

In summary: I'm not wrong it's about c.Ok, it was a bit less but I rounded it. I could right the exact answer, but if I'm not wrong it's about c.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

A proton has a speed of 0.2c. Find the speed of an electron that has (a) the same kinetic energy as the proton, and (b) the same momentum as the proton.

Homework Equations

K=ϒmc^2-mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-1-28_14-48-6.png

This is what I did for the same kinetic energy part, but I would end up with a negative under my square root. I found the formula in my notes, I'm not really sure what to do but I tried something. Can anyone offer me some guidance? I have not attempted the momentum part yet

Physics news on Phys.org
You are OK all the way up to your final expression for v. You made a minor mistake in solving for v. Check your work to see if you can find the mistake.

Also, you can rearrange ##\frac{1}{\frac{K+mc^2}{mc^2}}## to a simpler fraction.

TSny said:
You are OK all the way up to your final expression for v. You made a minor mistake in solving for v. Check your work to see if you can find the mistake.

Also, you can rearrange ##\frac{1}{\frac{K+mc^2}{mc^2}}## to a simpler fraction.
It will be multiplied by a negative c ?

Cocoleia said:
It will be multiplied by a negative c ?
Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are saying here.

TSny said:
Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are saying here.
My mistake was that when I solved for v I forgot the negative sign

Cocoleia said:
My mistake was that when I solved for v I forgot the negative sign
Yes. Good.

TSny said:
Yes. Good.
This is what I did for when they have the same momentum
upload_2017-1-28_18-1-41.png

It just seems weird that it gives me the speed of light I feel like that's probably wrong.

Looks good, but if your calculator is accurate enough, you should find that the answer for v is slightly less than c.

TSny said:
Looks good, but if your calculator is accurate enough, you should find that the answer for v is slightly less than c.
Ok, it was a bit less but I rounded it. I could right the exact answer

Related to Relativistic kinetic energy and momentum

1. What is the difference between relativistic and classical kinetic energy?

Relativistic kinetic energy takes into account the effects of special relativity, specifically the increase in mass at high velocities. This means that at high speeds, the kinetic energy of an object will be greater using the relativistic formula compared to the classical formula.

2. How is relativistic kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for relativistic kinetic energy is E = (γ - 1)mc², where γ is the Lorentz factor, m is the rest mass of the object, and c is the speed of light. This formula takes into account the increase in mass at high velocities, resulting in a more accurate calculation of kinetic energy.

3. What is the relationship between relativistic kinetic energy and momentum?

Relativistic kinetic energy and momentum are directly related through the formula p = γmv, where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and γ is the Lorentz factor. This means that as an object's kinetic energy increases, so does its momentum, resulting in a stronger impact or force.

4. How does the speed of an object affect its relativistic kinetic energy?

As an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its relativistic kinetic energy increases exponentially. This is due to the Lorentz factor, which becomes much larger at high velocities. This means that even a small increase in speed can result in a significant increase in kinetic energy.

5. Why is it important to consider relativistic effects in calculating kinetic energy and momentum?

Relativistic effects become significant at high speeds, such as those observed in particle accelerators or in space travel. Failing to consider these effects can result in inaccurate calculations and predictions. In order to fully understand and accurately describe the behavior of objects at high velocities, it is important to use the relativistic formulas for kinetic energy and momentum.