Relay causes circuit interference?

In summary, Brian is working on a fire/burglary alarm panel and is having trouble connecting a relay to activate the appropriate sound. The interference caused by the relay is causing various issues.
belias
Hello,

I'm working on a fire/burglary alarm panel and I need to add an external relay that closes a circuit whenever a fire alarm is detected (i.e. no voltage, just circuit closure). The alarm panel has one internal relay that activates for fire, and one that activates for burglary; each of these internal relays have the following terminals:

Common (hard wired to +12 V)
N/O
N/C (connected to the siren driver, activating the appropriate sound)

I thought I could use a simple relay connected as shown here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2382226/alarm%20system.jpg

However, when I connect the relay the alarm panel experiences interference causing various issues. As soon as I disconnect the relay - the interference goes away. The relay does NOT have to be energized for the interference to be a problem.

So here's the question: How can this happen? I had thought that the relay should completely isolate both sides of the coil (the only portions connected to the panel) when off. Any suggestions on how to solve this would be great!

Thanks,

- Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what "steady" is on the alarm panel, but your relay may be drawing too much current from it. You could experiment with different resistors in place of the relay to see how much you can get w/o disturbing the rest of the functions.

Hey Belias,

I have to agree with schip666! here, your relay could be drawing too much current. If your circuits are getting damaged or quit working it could also be Back-EMF from your relay which can be solved with a simple diode. You could also use a Solid State relay or even a MOSFET in place of a mechanical Relay.

Hope this helps, and best of luck on getting your alarm system setup! :)

What is a relay?

A relay is an electrical switch that is operated by an electromagnet. It allows a low voltage control signal to control a high voltage circuit.

How does a relay cause circuit interference?

A relay can cause circuit interference by generating electromagnetic interference (EMI) due to the rapid switching of the electromagnet. This interference can affect nearby electronic devices and can disrupt the normal functioning of a circuit.

What factors can contribute to relay-induced interference?

The size and type of relay, the characteristics of the load being switched, and the layout of the circuit can all contribute to relay-induced interference. The length and routing of the relay's control wires can also play a role in causing interference.

What are the effects of relay-induced interference?

The effects of relay-induced interference can range from minor disruptions to complete failure of electronic devices. It can cause errors in data transmission, audio and video distortion, and damage to sensitive electronic components.

How can relay-induced interference be prevented or minimized?

To prevent or minimize relay-induced interference, measures such as shielding the relay, using proper grounding techniques, and keeping the relay and its control wires away from sensitive components can be taken. Choosing the right type and size of relay for the specific application can also help reduce interference.