Relay for Infrared controlled switch

In summary: IR signal). This might be implemented as an 8-bit shift register, with the parity bit computed in-line. Alternately, a 16-bit shift register with parity bit stored in a separate register can be used. In summary, your receiver uses serial communication to receive IR data and then parses the data into bits. There is a start condition and a sample, and the parity bit is used to check for invalid data.
the_buckeye
hi,,
i m building this IR receiver circuit, to work as a switch for electrical appliances such as a lamp,,

attachment.php?attachmentid=30718&stc=1&d=1292661699.jpg

so when i send an IR beam to the circuit, the lamp should turn ON and stay ON even the beam is no longer present, but it should turn OFF when i send IR beam again. Which relay should i use ? a latching relay or a simple relay ? .

Thanks

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 701
Engineering news on Phys.org
I have NOT studied your circuit in detail, but a precursory look gives me some concerns, most notably the lack of a uController.

As you mention turning a lamp on, I assume the purpose of this device is to wirelessly control some device. Are you building this to learn about electronics? Or is your ultimate goal to turn a device on/off wirelessly? If it is the former then I (and most likely others) will be happy to help you with a functional design, but if the goal is simply to achieve turning a device on/off, then I suggest you go to Home Depot // Lowes and purchase one of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhl/R-202353567/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I doubt seriously you could source the parts for what this very handy device costs. If you really want to learn about how such a device might be built using IR, then by all means let's proceed.

Fish

Fish

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm building this circuit as my electronics project :) please tell any irregularities in my circuit . Thanks

the_buckeye,

Ok. First, most IR circuits are designed to reject ambient IR sources. Without a lot of rejection, you have no control over the circuit behavior. The most typical form of rejection is to send 15kHz to 50kHz pulses of IR. Let's choose 36kHz for this example. The pulse train of 36khz is either "on" or "off" to indicate a particular data state.

We have to stop here and look at serial communication for a moment. We will assume simple Host to Slave communication. In this protocol the Slave waits in an idle loop for a "start condition" to occur. Once the start condition is received, the slave receives some number of data bits. Various protocols define the parameters of the data bits, but at the end of the day eventually some number of data bits from the host are received and the communication cycle terminates. From this point we move to the function of the Host.

We might define a serial protocol as follows:

Start Bit = 500uS 36kHz Signal Followed by 500uS No 36kHz Signal
Low Data Bit = 50uS 36kHz Signal Followed by 150uS No 36kHz Signal
High Data Bit = 150uS 36kHz Signal followed by 50uS no 36kHz Signal
Stop Bit = 100uS 36kHz followed by 100uS no 36kHz Signal
End Transmission = 50uS 36kHz followed by 450uS no 36kHz Signal followed by 50uS 36kHz on

8 Data Bits + 1 Parity Bit + 1 Stop Bit per Byte Bytes can be separated by a defined signal, but this is not required for a simple IR device like yours. Additional redundancy measures can be added to improve rejection (for instance sending the 1's complement of each byte or word etc), but we will ignore these for now.

In your case, you want your receiver (Slave) to either turn a relay on, or turn a relay off. So you might be tempted to just define an "Action Byte", but in practice this is a very bad idea, and has very little rejection to other devices. In practice you would want at least a "Device Byte" and an "Action Byte", and I would add an ACK byte, but this is not strictly needed, so we will ignore it for brevity.

Now, to IR modules for a moment. Rather than build a circuit to convert the pulsed signal to data bits many designs simply use an IC to accomplish this task:

http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Vishay IR PDFs/TSOP 17...pdf

Sending the IR signal is fairly easy, you would use a 36kHz clock to source an IR transmitter, and mux the diode's input with a control signal from a uController or other device capable of timing/sending your serial protocol.

Now, while your receiver does not HAVE to have a uController to decode your signal, it is by far the easiest choice. You simply have the uController poll the IR Rx Module's output looking for a "start condition", in our case a pulse lasting longer than 150uS followed by a 500uS "pause". From there the data bits are all initiated by the leading edge of the bit, and a "sample" can be taken 100uS after the leading edge. The bits are shifted in until 8 bits have been Rxd. The data byte is then moved out of the shift register and the parity bit is shifted in. The data byte parity is then calculated and compared to the parity bit. If they match then the Rx routine continues to the next data byte, if not, then the routine is terminated and the uController returns to polling for a "start condition".

Once the data has been Rxed, it is tested. If the first data byte matches your device code, then the next data byte is tested. If the first data byte does NOT match your device code then the uController returns to polling for a "Start condition". Assuming your device code matches, the uController then tests the Action Byte. If the Action Byte matches an Action Code (in your case, "Device = On", or "Device = Off"), then your uController turns an I/O pin High/Low to change the state of the Relay. (Obviously you would NOT want to drive the relay directly from your uController.)

It is possible to build a coded IR Receiver w/o a uController using Flip/Flops and timing circuits, but this would be considerably more complicated/less flexible than simply using a uController, at least IMHO. I can also imagine building an IR transmitter w/o a uController. But until I am certain you have a firm grasp on how simple serial communication protocols are implemented, and WHY you would have to use them for your device, I see little reason to explore this venue.

If your project is not limited to building an IR detector/Transmitter, you might consider the much simpler task of building a device to "map" the IR signals from various remotes and send them to a PC. This project is still easiest achieved with a uController, but it is really very simple with very little uController code and a simple PC interface.

When you are ready to move from theory to actual design, let me know, but since this is a school project, you will need to demonstrate you understand what I have discussed so far.

Fish

the_buckeye,

I do need to make a note about your circuit..., it does appear that it would "work", that is that an IR signal would turn it on/off. But I am very concerned about "stability", that is, if your IR source "pulsed" @ some frequency (switch bounce for example), it appears your flip/flops might attempt to change the relay's state each pulse. Additionally, any ambient IR source might "lock" or "trigger" your circuit. My above comment is an explanation of how IR is typically achieved w/o regard to your assignment. If your assignment is sufficiently narrow in scope, your circuit may fulfill the requirements while failing to achieve what I would consider a stable design with proper rejection.

Fish

Last edited:
@ Fish ,, Thanks for so elaborate information .. (Y)

Actually i don't know very much about microcontrollers... but the method you told seems much inspiring to me ( i ll do it in my next year project :D )

I read a really good series of articles on IR several years back, but I can't seem to find it now. Following looks like a pretty good place for you to start:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/infrared/

There are lots of forums/websites dedicated to IR codes, a few of them have some good technical information...google is your friend.

I would encourage you to pursue uControllers. There are lots of educational/evaluation kits available. My preference is the 8-bit AVR family, but PICs and 8051 variants are also very popular. You will be amazed what you can do with a <$3 uController! I would encourage you to learn the hexadecimal & binary numbering systems and learn to program in assembler VS something like a "Basic Stamp" or using a C compiler in the early stages of learning. (Large projects benefit a great deal from a C-compiler, but if you are not aware of a uController's capabilities, you can get yourself in trouble in a hurry.)

Good Luck!

Fish

1. What is a "Relay for Infrared controlled switch"?

A "Relay for Infrared controlled switch" is a type of electronic switch that uses infrared signals to control the activation or deactivation of an electrical circuit. It consists of a relay, which is an electrically operated switch, and an infrared receiver, which detects the infrared signals and triggers the relay to turn on or off.

2. How does a "Relay for Infrared controlled switch" work?

The infrared receiver in a "Relay for Infrared controlled switch" detects the infrared signals from a remote control or other infrared source. It then sends a signal to the relay, which switches the electrical circuit on or off depending on the signal received. This allows for remote control of the switch without the need for physical contact.

3. What are the advantages of using a "Relay for Infrared controlled switch"?

One advantage of using a "Relay for Infrared controlled switch" is that it allows for remote control of a switch without the need for physical contact or wiring. It also eliminates the risk of electrical shock, making it safer to use. Additionally, infrared signals can pass through walls and other obstacles, allowing for flexible placement of the switch.

4. Where can a "Relay for Infrared controlled switch" be used?

A "Relay for Infrared controlled switch" can be used in a variety of applications, such as home automation, security systems, and industrial controls. It is suitable for any situation where remote control of a switch is needed, especially when physical contact is not possible or safe.

5. How is a "Relay for Infrared controlled switch" different from other types of switches?

A "Relay for Infrared controlled switch" differs from other types of switches in that it uses infrared signals to control the switch instead of physical contact or electrical wiring. This makes it more convenient and safer to use in certain situations, such as when controlling switches from a distance or in hazardous environments.