Remainder for Maclaurin Series

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Maclaurin series of the function f(x) = x^2cos(x) and mentions the formula for the remainder. The person is unsure how to find the remainder and questions if it is necessary to do so. They also mention another question on the assignment that specifically asks for the Taylor polynomial and remainder at a = 1. The expert summarizes that it is important to know the form of the remainder in certain cases and that the accuracy of the Maclaurin series as a representation of f(x) depends on the range of x and the behavior of f.
SeannyBoi71

Homework Statement

Find the Maclaurin series of [tex] f(x) = x^2cos(x) [/tex]

Homework Equations

I got the answer to be (sum from n=1 to infinity) [tex] \frac{(-1)(^n+1)x(^2n)}{(2n-2)!} [/tex] and the formula for the remainder is [tex] R_n(x) = \frac{f(^n+1)(c)}{(n+1)!}x(^n+1) [/tex]

(I have no idea how to make those exponents work, So I hope you know what the formula says .)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure the answer (not including the remainder) is correct, I just have no idea how to find the remainder using that formula. Don't even know how to apply it.

EDIT: Is it even necessary to find the remainder? Whenever I watch a tutorial on Maclaurin series they never find the remainder... so should I just assume that the Maclaurin series is a good representation of f(x) without calculating the remainder?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SeannyBoi71 said:

Homework Statement

Find the Maclaurin series of [tex] f(x) = x^2cos(x) [/tex]

Homework Equations

I got the answer to be (sum from n=1 to infinity) [tex] \frac{(-1)(^n+1)x(^2n)}{(2n-2)!} [/tex] and the formula for the remainder is [tex] R_n(x) = \frac{f(^n+1)(c)}{(n+1)!}x(^n+1) [/tex]

(I have no idea how to make those exponents work, So I hope you know what the formula says .)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty sure the answer (not including the remainder) is correct, I just have no idea how to find the remainder using that formula. Don't even know how to apply it.

EDIT: Is it even necessary to find the remainder? Whenever I watch a tutorial on Maclaurin series they never find the remainder... so should I just assume that the Maclaurin series is a good representation of f(x) without calculating the remainder?

Of course it is sometimes important to know the form of the remainder (for example, when analyzing the accuracy of some numerical integration methods, etc). Never assume that the Maclaurin series is _necessarily_ a good representation of f(x); sometimes it is, and sometimes not; it depends on the range of x and the behavior of f, etc.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Of course it is sometimes important to know the form of the remainder (for example, when analyzing the accuracy of some numerical integration methods, etc). Never assume that the Maclaurin series is _necessarily_ a good representation of f(x); sometimes it is, and sometimes not; it depends on the range of x and the behavior of f, etc.

RGV

I just noticed that another question on the assignment asks specifically "Find the 3rd degree Taylor polynomals and the remainders at a = 1 for the following functions." The first question doesn't say that... So I'm thinking he does not want us to bother finding it...

1. What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a special type of Taylor series expansion that is centered around x = 0. It is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a polynomial function of successively higher degree, with the coefficients of the polynomial determined by the values of the derivatives of the original function at x = 0.

2. How is the remainder for a Maclaurin series calculated?

The remainder for a Maclaurin series is calculated using the Lagrange form of the remainder, which is given by R_n(x) = f^{(n+1)}(c)x^{n+1}/(n+1)! where c is some value between 0 and x. This formula allows us to estimate the error between the actual value of the function and the approximate value given by the Maclaurin series.

3. Why is the remainder for a Maclaurin series important?

The remainder for a Maclaurin series is important because it helps us to determine the accuracy of our approximation using the series. By calculating the remainder, we can determine how many terms of the series we need to use in order to get a desired level of accuracy. It also helps us to understand the behavior of the function near x = 0.

4. Can the remainder for a Maclaurin series be negative?

Yes, the remainder for a Maclaurin series can be negative. This can happen when the derivative of the function at c has a different sign than x, resulting in a negative value for the remainder. However, the absolute value of the remainder is what is important in determining the accuracy of the approximation.

5. How can the remainder for a Maclaurin series be used in practical applications?

The remainder for a Maclaurin series can be used in practical applications to determine the accuracy of mathematical models and approximations. It is also useful in numerical analysis and scientific computing, where it can help to improve the efficiency and precision of algorithms. Additionally, the remainder can be used to estimate the error in real-world measurements and experiments, allowing for more accurate results.