1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Renewed career in science for age 50+ (UK)

1. Oct 27, 2014 #1
    Having been a junior design engineer 15 years ago and moved out of that field I am looking to get back into a science based career.

I am taking a "Natural Science" degree with a maths/physics bias (lots of that) and can't seem to get any sensible job before I get this in place.

I used to use CAD packages a lot but have now missed sooo many versions and new innovations I definitely can't get back to that and I realise that at age over 50 it is going to be difficult to find what I want so what sort of advice could you give?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A career as a scientist will be difficult. If you're 50+ now, you'll be around 58+ when you get your PhD, and 64+ when you complete your second postdoc, and will be going up for tenure when you are around 70+. A career as an engineer on scientific projects might be easier to achieve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook