Rep. Jefferson (D-LA): BUSTED

• Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
In summary, a congressman under investigation for bribery was caught on videotape accepting $100,000 in $100 bills from an FBI informant. The lawmaker's conversations with the informant were also recorded and agents later found the cash hidden in his freezer. The congressman was heard joking about writing notes as if the FBI was watching.
Rach3
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060521/ap_on_go_co/congressman_probe_7;_ylt=Av6F58y13vtn1A3zAa84Y5iGbToC;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
ALEXANDRIA, Va. - A congressman under investigation for bribery was caught on videotape accepting $100,000 in $100 bills from an FBI informant whose conversations with the lawmaker also were recorded, according to a court document released Sunday. Agents later found the cash hidden in his freezer.
I've already posted this in P&WA, but it really seems like a "general interest" topic so I thought I'd start a GD thread. Maybe along the theme of, "America's Dumbest Criminals". :tongue2:

As Jefferson and the informant passed notes about what percentage the lawmaker's family might receive, the congressman "began laughing and said, 'All these damn notes we're writing to each other as if we're talking, as if the FBI is watching,'" according to the affidavit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As Jefferson and the informant passed notes about what percentage the lawmaker's family might receive, the congressman "began laughing and said, 'All these damn notes we're writing to each other as if we're talking, as if the FBI is watching,'" according to the affidavit.

Funniest thing I've heard all month :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am appalled by the actions of Rep. Jefferson. It is concerning that a lawmaker who is supposed to uphold the law and act in the best interest of the public would engage in such illegal and unethical behavior. The use of bribery and accepting large sums of cash is not only a violation of the law, but it also undermines the trust and integrity of our political system.

The fact that the congressman was caught on video and recorded by the FBI informant shows a blatant disregard for the consequences of his actions. It is also concerning that he seemed to be aware of the potential surveillance and still proceeded with the illegal transaction.

As a society, we rely on our elected officials to represent us and make decisions that are in the best interest of the public. This kind of behavior erodes that trust and raises questions about the integrity of our political system. It is important for investigations like this to be conducted and for those who are found guilty to be held accountable for their actions.

In conclusion, the actions of Rep. Jefferson are unacceptable and should not be tolerated in our society. I believe in evidence-based decision making and the rule of law, and it is clear that the evidence in this case points to illegal and unethical behavior. It is my hope that justice will be served and that steps will be taken to prevent similar actions from occurring in the future.

1. What is the background of Rep. Jefferson?

Rep. William Jefferson is a former Democratic congressman from Louisiana who served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1991 to 2009.

2. What was Rep. Jefferson charged with?

Rep. Jefferson was charged with multiple counts of bribery, fraud, and racketeering related to his involvement in a business deal in Africa.

3. How did Rep. Jefferson's case unfold?

In 2005, the FBI raided Rep. Jefferson's home and found $90,000 in cash hidden in his freezer. He was later indicted on charges of corruption and his trial began in 2009. He was eventually found guilty on 11 of the 16 charges against him and was sentenced to 13 years in prison. He was released in 2017 after serving 5 years.

4. What was the impact of Rep. Jefferson's case on the political landscape?

Rep. Jefferson's case was one of the most high-profile political corruption cases in recent history. It brought to light the issue of politicians using their positions for personal gain and further eroded public trust in the government.

5. Did Rep. Jefferson maintain his innocence throughout the trial?

Rep. Jefferson maintained his innocence throughout the trial and even after his conviction, he continued to appeal his case. However, he ultimately accepted a plea deal and pleaded guilty to 11 of the 16 charges against him.

Back