1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Replace external force with an internal force

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    Hi guys. I am working on making a haptic device for a baseball simulator. Now the problem is that I want to replace the external force for the ball hitting the bat with an internal force in my bat-like device using either solenoids or motors. Do you think it is possible to replace the external force and still get a recoil-like feel on the bat?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2010 #2
    It won't really work. This is why: There are two ways to achieve some similar effect like a recoil.
    1) Actually recoil something inside the bat. You could use a high mass that wouldn't need to be speed up as much as a ball, but you would have to catch it again inside the bat which would produce a very unnatural force.
    2) Do something funky with a gyroscope, but these things would normally turn the bat in weird directions. You could spin the gyroscope up slowly though in a direction counterclockwise to the bat swing, and hit the breaks suddenly the moment you simulate the hit. Gyroscope physics are a ***** though and the bat will be have in a strange way when your swing is not in the right plane of motion.

4. Mar 30, 2010 #3
    hey thanks for that. I did consider gyroscope, but apart from the difficult control, it'll make the bat heavy and defy the whole purpose of a wireless haptic device.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook