Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Replace with equivalent force-couple system?

  1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    Replace with equivalent force-couple system??

    My book has one page on this and I do not understand what they want...

    Please see attached picture for problems..

    First one, left side, says replace the 5KN force with an equivalent force-couple system at O.


    The second one says to replace the 500N force with a equivalent force-couple system at B.

    Thanks a lot

    Attached Files:

    • this.png
      File size:
      11.8 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Re: Replace with equivalent force-couple system??

    I think what you want is C = rXF where r is the vector from the point in interest to the point where the force acts and F is the applied force vector.

    C = r_x*F_y - r_y*F_x

    See, "What is a couple?"


Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook