How Do You Calculate the Moment in a Force-Couple System at a Pivot Point?

  • Thread starter Thread starter zeralda21
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Systems
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
zeralda21
Messages
119
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


A force F of magnitude 50 N is exerted on the automobile parking-brake lever at the position x=250 mm. Replace the force by an equivalent force-couple system at the pivot point O.

Picture: http://i.imgur.com/dJGtvAo.png


Homework Equations



M=F*d

The Attempt at a Solution



I have replaced the force by an equivalent force-system at O so I now the exact same force F(both magnitude and direction) but at O. Now I want to find the moment which is given by M=Force*distance. The distance I need is the closest distance between O and the "moment-point". For simplicity I instead try to find the distance between O and Fcos20. But I have problems finding it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi zeralda21! :smile:
zeralda21 said:
The distance I need is the closest distance between O and the "moment-point".

no, it's the closest distance between O and the line of the force

probably easiest to start by extending the left-hand part until it reaches the line of F, and finding the total length of that :wink:
 
tiny-tim said:
hi zeralda21! :smile:


no, it's the closest distance between O and the line of the force

probably easiest to start by extending the left-hand part until it reaches the line of F, and finding the total length of that :wink:

Ouch, that is actually what i meant. But the closest distance is therefore the horizontal distance from O to Fcos(20), no? I'm not sure what you mean. Extend it as:

0.1m+xcot15 ?
 
hi zeralda21! :wink:
zeralda21 said:
But the closest distance is therefore the horizontal distance from O to Fcos(20), no? I'm not sure what you mean. Extend it as:

0.1m+xcot15 ?

on second thoughts, i don't think that works :redface:

try it this way …

draw a line OG parallel to the line of F

then the distance is the sum of the perpendicular distances from that dot in the middle to the line of F, and from that dot in the middle to OG :smile: