Replacement AC adaptor with much higher current

In summary, it is generally safe to replace a regulated AC adaptor with a higher current rating, as long as the output voltage and polarity are the same. However, in this case, the new adaptor has a significantly higher current rating than the old one and may be more expensive. It is important to double check the equipment's current draw to ensure that it does not exceed the new adaptor's rating. Additionally, it is possible that the warning against using adaptors with much higher current ratings may only apply to unregulated adaptors.
hmb
Is it bad to replace a regulated AC adaptor that has an output rating of 9V DC and 200mA with a regulated AC adaptor of the same polarity that has an output rating of 9V DC and 1.7A? I know it's OK for the current rating to be higher than needed, but in this case the current rating on the new adaptor is more than eight times greater than that on the old one. Also, I think the equipment it would be used on only draws 75mA of that anyway.

Would making this replacement have any adverse effect on the equipment the adaptor would power?

The reason I ask is that I read on some site that you shouldn't use an adaptor with a current rating that is a whole lot larger than the one you are replacing, but it occurs to me now that maybe they were only talking about unregulated adaptors (where I can see it would be a problem because the output voltage would be too high). Do you think this might be right?

Engineering news on Phys.org
hmb said:
Is it bad to replace a regulated AC adaptor that has an output rating of 9V DC and 200mA with a regulated AC adaptor of the same polarity that has an output rating of 9V DC and 1.7A? I know it's OK for the current rating to be higher than needed, but in this case the current rating on the new adaptor is more than eight times greater than that on the old one. Also, I think the equipment it would be used on only draws 75mA of that anyway.

Would making this replacement have any adverse effect on the equipment the adaptor would power?

The reason I ask is that I read on some site that you shouldn't use an adaptor with a current rating that is a whole lot larger than the one you are replacing, but it occurs to me now that maybe they were only talking about unregulated adaptors (where I can see it would be a problem because the output voltage would be too high). Do you think this might be right?

It should work fine. The only disadvantage is cost.

1. Can I use a replacement AC adaptor with a higher current for my device?

It is generally not recommended to use an AC adaptor with a higher current than the one specified for your device. This can cause damage to your device and potentially be a safety hazard. It is important to use the correct adaptor as specified by the manufacturer.

2. What is the difference between the current on an AC adaptor?

The current on an AC adaptor refers to the amount of electrical energy that it can provide to your device. Adaptors with higher current ratings are capable of supplying more energy, while adaptors with lower current ratings are limited in the amount of energy they can provide. It is important to use an adaptor with the correct current rating for your device.

3. How do I know if the replacement AC adaptor has a higher current?

The current rating for an AC adaptor is typically labeled on the adaptor itself. You can also check the specifications provided by the manufacturer to determine the current rating of the adaptor. If you are unsure, it is best to contact the manufacturer for clarification.

4. Will using a replacement AC adaptor with a higher current damage my device?

Using an AC adaptor with a higher current than the one specified for your device can potentially cause damage to your device. The excess energy can overload and overheat your device, leading to malfunctions or even permanent damage. It is important to use the correct adaptor for your device.

5. Can I use a replacement AC adaptor with a higher current to charge my device faster?

While it may seem like using an adaptor with a higher current would charge your device faster, this is not always the case. Most devices are designed to only accept a certain amount of energy at a time, so using an adaptor with a higher current may not result in a faster charge. It is best to use the adaptor specified by the manufacturer for optimal and safe charging.