1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Representation of two relation matrices

1. Apr 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

w0jbwg.png

3. The attempt at a solution

I know what relations are individually but what do I do to represent the composition of both? Is it some matrix operation? Would I multiply them, but instead of adding I use the boolean sum?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2014 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Let ##R = R_1 \circ R_2 : A → C##

If you have an element ##a \in A##, how would you be mapping it all the way to ##C## given the two matrices you have?

Hint: Think about the dimensions of the elements in ##A##.

4. Apr 9, 2014 #3
    I know that I can use the venn diagrams and draw arrows and stuff, but when I multiply the two matrices together, I get the right answer. So will it work for all of them?

5. Apr 9, 2014 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yes, suppose you denote the upper matrix in the problem by ##M_1## and the lower one by ##M_2##.

According to ##R_1##, you map the elements of ##A## to ##B##. The matrix of the relation happens to be ##M_1##.

So ##aM_1 \in B##.

Then to get to ##C##, you multiply by ##M_2##.

So ##aM_1M_2 \in C##.

6. Apr 9, 2014 #5
    Ahh alright, and I was right to assume that you used the boolean sum, during the multiplicative process?

7. Apr 9, 2014 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I believe the question is simply asking you to multiply ##M_1## and ##M_2##. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'Boolean sum' though.

8. Apr 9, 2014 #7
    If an element of A, a, and an element of B, b, are related then, aRb == 1, so there can only be values of 0 or 1, boolean sum is defined as a logical or so
    0 + 0 = 0
    1 + 0 = 1
    0 + 1 = 1
    1 + 1 = 1

9. Apr 9, 2014 #8

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Ahh you intended these as logical matrices. If that's the case then yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted