Replace a Toffoli gate with an equivalent circuit

In summary, the author is working on a task and has found that there is an equivalent quantum circuit. However, they do not yet believe that the circuits are equivalent. They have rewritten the term V and started with the case ##|111\rangle##. This should, because it comes to the equivalence dof the Toffoli gate at the end of ##|110\rangle## come out.
Peter_Newman
Hello,

I am currently working on this task here. Given is a Toffoli gate. Now it is stated that there is an equivalent quantum circuit. I tried to show the equivalence, for example by looking at case ##|111\rangle##.

However, with what I have calculated so far, I do not come to the conclusion that the circuits are equivalent.
I have rewritten the term V first:

$$V=(1-i)\frac{I+iX}{2}=\begin{pmatrix}0.5-0.5i&0.5+0.5i\\0.5+0.5i&0.5-0.5i\end{pmatrix}$$
Now I just start with the case ##|111\rangle##. This should, because it comes to the equivalence dof the Toffoli gate at the end of ##|110\rangle## come out.

$$|111\rangle\xrightarrow{V} |11\rangle\begin{pmatrix}0.5-0.5i&0.5+0.5i\\0.5+0.5i&0.5-0.5i\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}0\\1\end{pmatrix}=|11\rangle\begin{pmatrix}0.5+0.5i\\0.5-0.5i\end{pmatrix}\xrightarrow{CNOT}|10\rangle\begin{pmatrix}0.5+0.5i\\0.5-0.5i\end{pmatrix}$$

$$\left(V^T\right)^{*}=\begin{pmatrix}0.5+0.5i&0.5-0.5i\\0.5-0.5i&0.5+0.5i\end{pmatrix}$$

$$|10\rangle\begin{pmatrix}0.5+0.5i\\0.5-0.5i\end{pmatrix}\xrightarrow{\left(V^T\right)^{*}} |10\rangle\begin{pmatrix}0.5+0.5i&0.5-0.5i\\0.5-0.5i&0.5+0.5i\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}0.5+0.5i\\0.5-0.5i\end{pmatrix}=|10\rangle|1\rangle$$

$$|10\rangle|1\rangle\xrightarrow{CNOT} |11\rangle|1\rangle\xrightarrow{V}|11\rangle\begin{pmatrix}0.5-0.5i&0.5+0.5i\\0.5+0.5i&0.5-0.5i\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}0\\1\end{pmatrix}=|11\rangle\begin{pmatrix}0.5+0.5i\\0.5-0.5i\end{pmatrix}\neq |110\rangle$$

It could be that I made a mistake in my calculation. What do you all mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter_Newman said:
$$|10\rangle\begin{pmatrix}0.5+0.5i\\0.5-0.5i\end{pmatrix}\xrightarrow{\left(V^T\right)^{*}} |10\rangle\begin{pmatrix}0.5+0.5i&0.5-0.5i\\0.5-0.5i&0.5+0.5i\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}0.5+0.5i\\0.5-0.5i\end{pmatrix}=|10\rangle|1\rangle$$
In this step since the second qubit has a value of ##\left |0\right>##, the ##V^*## gate should not be applied according to your circuit diagram.

Last edited:
Likes Peter_Newman
tnich said:
In this step since the second qubit has a value of ##\left |0\right>##, the ##V^*## gate should not be applied according to your circuit diagram .
By the way, it seems much easier to keep the bra-ket notation in this case rather than revert to matrices. For example, the first step becomes
$$|111\rangle\xrightarrow{V} |11\rangle\frac 1 2 (1-i)(I+iX)\left|1\right> = \frac 1 2 (1-i)|11\rangle(\left|1\right>+i\left|0\right>)$$
Also, I think there is an error in the problem statement. In paper that described this method, Elementary gates for quantum computation (PhysRevA.52.3457), the equivalent Toffoli gate is given as

where in this case ##U=V^2=X##. Note that the last controlled(V) gate is controlled by a different bit than the first one.

Last edited:
Likes Peter_Newman

1. What is a Toffoli gate?

A Toffoli gate is a type of logic gate in quantum computing that operates on three qubits, or quantum bits. It is used to perform reversible classical computation and is also known as the Controlled-Controlled-Not (CCN) gate.

2. Why would you want to replace a Toffoli gate with an equivalent circuit?

Replacing a Toffoli gate with an equivalent circuit can be beneficial in quantum computing as it can help simplify and optimize the circuit for better performance. It can also make the circuit easier to understand and analyze.

3. How do you replace a Toffoli gate with an equivalent circuit?

To replace a Toffoli gate with an equivalent circuit, you need to understand the mathematical and logical operations performed by the gate. Then, you can use a combination of other quantum gates to achieve the same result as the Toffoli gate.

4. Are there any drawbacks to replacing a Toffoli gate with an equivalent circuit?

One potential drawback of replacing a Toffoli gate with an equivalent circuit is that it may require more quantum gates, which can increase the complexity and resource usage of the circuit. It is important to carefully consider the trade-offs before making any changes to a circuit.

5. Can any Toffoli gate be replaced with an equivalent circuit?

Yes, any Toffoli gate can be replaced with an equivalent circuit as long as the resulting circuit performs the same logical operation. However, the specific combination of gates used may vary depending on the context and requirements of the circuit.