Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reproduce yourself with a 3D printer

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

4. Aug 4, 2011 #3
    Probably very very very expensive...

5. Aug 4, 2011 #4
    but very very cool.

6. Aug 4, 2011 #5

Evo

Now I want to live at least another hundred years to see what kind of cool things there will be. I'd like to replicate a new computer chair, this one is broken.

Prices will go down, they will be dummie proofed. You'll select what you want from an online catalogue and send the design to your 3D printer.

7. Aug 4, 2011 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Hm. Then you'll just have a broken chair and an identical copy of a broken chair.

You're going to wait another hundred years to be able produce one that isn't broken.

8. Aug 4, 2011 #7

Evo

:grumpy:

9. Aug 4, 2011 #8
    Isn't it more expensive and time-consuming to wait for technlogy to repruudce a chair when you can just buy one?

10. Aug 4, 2011 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

...said flyingpig, stating the obvious, and completely missing the humour. :biggrin:

11. Aug 4, 2011 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Evo, pink,hot. o:)

12. Aug 4, 2011 #11

Ryan_m_b

It will be interesting when/if 3D printers jump from workshops to factories and then to the home. One of the problems is the restrictions placed on what the printer can make (essentially everything out of one material). What would be very interesting is if a 3D printer came along that was composed of multiple 3D printers capable of printing different plastics, metal sintering, silicon chip printing etc etc. It would be cool to have a system where you download the product from the store and have it either printed in your house whole or if it is too big made flatpack. An even better modification would be if the materials could be easily recycled by other types of 3D de-printers (I know I'm getting ahead of myself here).

The biggest obstacle I see to this jumping into the home is piracy. No matter how copy-right protected and DRM companies make things there will always be a pirate bay available to get a free copy of a product. There's also the slightly disturbing possibility of it being used to make simple but effective weapons, it would suck if we saw a spate of murders perpetrated by people wielding printed crossbows.

13. Aug 4, 2011 #12
    said Dave, completely not realizing flyingpig was intending humour too! :biggrin:

14. Aug 4, 2011 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Strange attempt to humour then...

15. Aug 4, 2011 #14
    Ha, 2 days ago I was watching an episode of Numb3rs and someone made a 3D object of one of the mathematicians using a 3D printer and gave it to her at the end of the show. I didn't think this was possible till now. Some amazing stuff here.

16. Aug 4, 2011 #15
    eh, crossbows are freely available here, and no strings of murders are popping up. nor using things easy enough to make at home like blowguns.

instead of all the DRM nonsense, it'd be nice to see a ton of open-source components and assemblies. this is something the linux crowd would jump all over.

17. Aug 4, 2011 #16

IMP

Should we worry when the 3D printer can print more 3D printers? Self replication.

18. Aug 4, 2011 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Von Neumann would have been proud...

19. Aug 4, 2011 #18

Ryan_m_b

No more than when factories can build more factories. Or better yet, when people can print more people...oh wait...

20. Aug 4, 2011 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well yeah, but it takes 15-25 years per cycle...

Though I'm sure Canon could get that down to 4-6 (b&w) people per minute... :biggrin:

21. Aug 4, 2011 #20

Ryan_m_b

Well yes but a breeding pair masses 150kg, it would only take them 1100 - 1800 years to consume the entire mass of the Earth! We must put a stop to this grey goo!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook