3D printer supplies and building plans !

• Thread starter arashbh
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi everybody.
Me and a friend of mine are going to be EE majors this year, so we thought we'd build a 3D printer from the very beginning. Of course we're gonna have some instructors helping us out but I need some information about the whole thing before offering anyone anything!

First of all, what materials are needed like what kind of board ,what kind of motors and all that.
I myself am a starter in robotic world but my friend has some experience from earlier projects.

Ive googled it several times and couldnt find anything useful, i found some videos though that weren't quite informative as i wanted.
I'd appreciate your help of any sort,
give me a load rock-hard welcome to your community of electrical engineers ;)

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
They are usually called "rapid prototype" machines.

google for "rep rap".
http://www.reprap.org/wiki/RepRap
... the wiki answers all your questions - includes a parts list and software to run it and references to other DIY 3D printers.

thank you..
this website strangely is in my favorites list though. i have no idea why i never seen it ! :?

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

berkeman
Mentor
Also, the MAKE Magazine sometimes has articles about how to make 3-D printers (sometimes out of weird starter things like inkjet printers). Here is a hit list for a search at the MAKE Magazine website:

http://blog.makezine.com/category/desktop-manufacturing/3d-printing-desktop-manufacturing/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: