3D printer supplies and building plans

In summary, the conversation is about two individuals planning to build a 3D printer from scratch. They are seeking information about materials needed and have searched online without much success. They are directed to the RepRap wiki, which provides a detailed guide and list of necessary parts. They also receive a recommendation to check out MAKE Magazine for additional resources.
arashbh
Hi everybody.
Me and a friend of mine are going to be EE majors this year, so we thought we'd build a 3D printer from the very beginning. Of course we're going to have some instructors helping us out but I need some information about the whole thing before offering anyone anything!

First of all, what materials are needed like what kind of board ,what kind of motors and all that.
I myself am a starter in robotic world but my friend has some experience from earlier projects.

Ive googled it several times and couldn't find anything useful, i found some videos though that weren't quite informative as i wanted.
I'd appreciate your help of any sort,
give me a load rock-hard welcome to your community of electrical engineers ;)

Engineering news on Phys.org
They are usually called "rapid prototype" machines.

google for "rep rap".
http://www.reprap.org/wiki/RepRap
... the wiki answers all your questions - includes a parts list and software to run it and references to other DIY 3D printers.

thank you..
this website strangely is in my favorites list though. i have no idea why i never seen it ! :?

Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Also, the MAKE Magazine sometimes has articles about how to make 3-D printers (sometimes out of weird starter things like inkjet printers). Here is a hit list for a search at the MAKE Magazine website:

http://blog.makezine.com/category/desktop-manufacturing/3d-printing-desktop-manufacturing/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the most common materials used in 3D printing?

The most common materials used in 3D printing are thermoplastics, such as ABS and PLA, which are widely available and affordable. Other materials include metals, ceramics, and even food and living cells.

2. How do I choose the right 3D printer filament for my project?

When choosing a filament for your 3D printing project, consider the material properties, such as strength, flexibility, and heat resistance, as well as the printing temperature and compatibility with your printer. It's also important to consider the cost and availability of the filament.

3. Can I create my own 3D printer from scratch?

Yes, it is possible to build your own 3D printer from scratch using building plans and instructions available online. However, it requires a good understanding of electronics, mechanics, and programming, as well as access to necessary tools and materials.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using 3D printer supplies?

Yes, it's important to follow safety precautions when using 3D printer supplies, such as wearing gloves and a mask when handling certain materials, ensuring proper ventilation in the printing area, and being cautious of hot surfaces and moving parts on the printer.

5. Can I recycle 3D printer supplies?

Many 3D printer supplies, such as PLA and ABS, are recyclable. However, it's important to check with your local recycling facilities to see if they accept these materials and follow proper recycling guidelines. Some 3D printers also have the ability to recycle and reuse excess or failed prints.