Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D printer supplies and building plans !

1. Aug 21, 2012 #1
    Hi everybody.
    Me and a friend of mine are going to be EE majors this year, so we thought we'd build a 3D printer from the very beginning. Of course we're gonna have some instructors helping us out but I need some information about the whole thing before offering anyone anything!

First of all, what materials are needed like what kind of board ,what kind of motors and all that.
    I myself am a starter in robotic world but my friend has some experience from earlier projects.

Ive googled it several times and couldnt find anything useful, i found some videos though that weren't quite informative as i wanted.
    I'd appreciate your help of any sort,
    give me a load rock-hard welcome to your community of electrical engineers ;)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

They are usually called "rapid prototype" machines.

google for "rep rap".
    http://www.reprap.org/wiki/RepRap
    ... the wiki answers all your questions - includes a parts list and software to run it and references to other DIY 3D printers.

4. Aug 22, 2012 #3
    thank you..
    this website strangely is in my favorites list though. i have no idea why i never seen it ! :?

5. Aug 22, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

6. Aug 22, 2012 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Also, the MAKE Magazine sometimes has articles about how to make 3-D printers (sometimes out of weird starter things like inkjet printers). Here is a hit list for a search at the MAKE Magazine website:

http://blog.makezine.com/category/desktop-manufacturing/3d-printing-desktop-manufacturing/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook